Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pump or CPS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 05:39 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarahcake
Well I got it towed over to a shop and we tested the fuel pump and its good, well its putting fuel into the system. They pulled a plug and it was wet with fuel. But they said there was no spark on either side. Maybe the coils are bad? Whats the likeliness of both coils failing at once? I hope that's the case. They said what it could also be is the CPS magnet on the flywheel fell off and needs a new flywheel. Eek! Is there a certain relay I should check? I checked every fuse under the dash and hood and they check out good
Holy cow, this one sounds complicated. And to be honest Sarah, my mechanical knowledge is quite limited. I hope someone is able to chime in with useful advice here soon. We do have a member called Disco Mike who is really knowledgeable - haven't seen him on here for a while but i'm trying to think if there might be a way to contact him. He'd probably know exactly whats' up.

Last edited by 4x4 Brad; 02-23-2016 at 05:41 AM.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:45 AM
Mudding

How much would a new flywheel be? did they say? new coils? your'e gonna be broke by the time you fix this damn thing!

Old 02-23-2016, 06:44 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4x4 Brad
How much would a new flywheel be? did they say? new coils? your'e gonna be broke by the time you fix this damn thing!
I'm getting it towed to my local autohaus next. The first garage wasnt 100% cofident in land rovers. The real issue is that we're moving in 13 days across the country. This thing needs to be fixed since its carrying the majority of our stuff.
Just to reiterate:
Sunday morning when I started it, it had a dipping idle and filled it uo with gas and continued to dip when I was at a light or sitting still it did it throughout the day and when I got home, I shut it off, waited for about fifteen minutes turned it back on, it sputtered and died.
I've got fuel pressure, although I'm not positive on how much. I pulled a plug iut of the block and it was wet with fuel
I replaced the Crank angle sensor yesterday, still no spark.
Cecked all my fuese, with a test light and still nothing. When cranking it over, it sounds like its out if gas, but when a plugwire is grounded, there's no spark that I can see.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:25 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Ive looked and searched but everywhere I look, people say cps.
Everyone says CPS because it's rhetoric. Kinda like the go with the crowd thing. Everyone is doing it so it must be right. You replaced a CPS for no reason.

I would assume you have no spark from either pack, or I would hope they checked for spark from both.
If you have no spark from both packs then it's not the coil packs.

Question I didn't see asked, do you have any codes?

Old 02-23-2016, 09:53 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by dgi 07
Everyone says CPS because it's rhetoric. Kinda like the go with the crowd thing. Everyone is doing it so it must be right. You replaced a CPS for no reason.

I would assume you have no spark from either pack, or I would hope they checked for spark from both.
If you have no spark from both packs then it's not the coil packs.

Question I didn't see asked, do you have any codes?
Two codes p-1590 and P-0463. But those wouldn't be related right? Abs would still let the truck start, and fuel position wouldnt keep the truck from starting either. We tried both coils, no spark.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:08 AM
Pro Wrench

Two codes p-1590 and P-0463. But those wouldn't be related right? Abs would still let the truck start, and fuel position wouldnt keep the truck from starting either. We tried both coils, no spark.
1590 is ABS. Thats a different problem altogether.
0463 is high fuel level. Should let the truck start, noted because you checked and had adequate fuel pressure.

What was the fuel pressure reading btw....

Old 02-23-2016, 10:23 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by MysteeklRover
Actually, my husband had to replace his cps last year....it never left us stranded...truck wouldnt start until it cooled off, but it always started
Okay, gotcha. Seems like you must have caught it while it was on its way out but not yet completely gone? They get hot and things get funny. Mine just conked out all in one go. None of the overheating stuff. It just wouldn't start, period. So far, I've heard of both instances.

Last edited by 4x4 Brad; 02-23-2016 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:10 PM
Three Wheeling

1590 is ABS. Thats a different problem altogether.
0463 is high fuel level. Should let the truck start, noted because you checked and had adequate fuel pressure.

What was the fuel pressure reading btw....
Im not sure, but I'm sure the autohaus will figure it out. Im waiting on the tow truck now.

Old 02-23-2016, 12:17 PM
Pro Wrench

Im not sure, but I'm sure the autohaus will figure it out. Im waiting on the tow truck now.
Gotcha. keep us in the loop

Old 02-23-2016, 12:34 PM
Three Wheeling

Gotcha. keep us in the loop
I'll let yall know. Still waiting for the tow truck. Anything I can test while I'm waiting?

Quick Reply: Fuel pump or CPS?