Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel/Spark issues maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 12:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, What a list... Sorry to see that man. Im sure you'll get her all fixed up though!

Old 11-02-2009, 03:30 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skatelove303
Wow, What a list... Sorry to see that man. Im sure you'll get her all fixed up though!
Tell me about it - I am a little scared....

I hope so...

Old 11-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do but will not get you anywhere.

Dont worry about it, do what you can when you can.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:56 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Spike555
Worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do but will not get you anywhere.

Dont worry about it, do what you can when you can.
Thanks but I can't figure out what the problem is. I have all new o2's (Bosch), +4's, and 8MM mags and the o2 sensors keep going bad. Is it the ECU? Should I just go rip a computer out of the one at the junk yard and plug it in? Do I need new injectors? Should I put in Champion plugs instead of Bosch?

I really need some help on this one...

If I drive it I am getting about 8-9mpg and it looks like its spitting gas right out the tail pipe.

The coolant leak is something that started last night and is dripping on the front drive shaft, looks like its between the motor and the firewall. I am getting the waterfall sound and it smells like hot coolant. I know its probably the head gasket, I guess I am just hoping its not. I have owned this truck about 1 year and will probably end up with as much into it as I paid for it soon without even modding and having fun with it.

I have done 2 head gaskets before (10+ years ago) on old 4 cylinder cars and I am now older and own my own business (8 months now). I don't have the money to take this somewhere and just say "fix it" but I don't really have the time to do the head gasket myself in my garage.

My fiance and I both love the truck, I had wanted one for years, and we really don't want to see it go. Even though I got a good deal at the time I still owe more than I could sell it for now anyway with what they are going for in this market and to break even I would at least have to fix these issues.

Any advice or thoughts would really help...

THANKS-

Old 11-02-2009, 04:11 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Sounds to me like your head gaskets are leaking into the combustion chambers and that is flooding your cylinders.
The O2's are reading a lean mixture because of the coolant in the exhaust and then the ECU is running the fuel injectors full open to compensate for the too lean readings from the O2's.
So, in conclusion, until your head gaskets are fixed I would not do anything else.

You just started noticing a coolant leak onto the ground BUT you have the water fall sound in the dash.
So that means it has been leaking for a while, unless it is a huge leak the waterfall sound wont happen that quick.
Since you have not noticed a leak until now but you have lost alot of coolant it must be internal.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:10 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Spike555
Sounds to me like your head gaskets are leaking into the combustion chambers and that is flooding your cylinders.
The O2's are reading a lean mixture because of the coolant in the exhaust and then the ECU is running the fuel injectors full open to compensate for the too lean readings from the O2's.
So, in conclusion, until your head gaskets are fixed I would not do anything else.

You just started noticing a coolant leak onto the ground BUT you have the water fall sound in the dash.
So that means it has been leaking for a while, unless it is a huge leak the waterfall sound wont happen that quick.
Since you have not noticed a leak until now but you have lost alot of coolant it must be internal.
Thank You Spike,

I have an appointment set for 8am on Wed to have a look with a trusted mechanic who works on 2 other Discos. In the meantime I am going to do some research and see if I am up to doing it myself. If he says $1,500 or less I might consider having him do it but any more and I will have to do it myself. Either way this is going to cut into by trail rig build that I started about 2 weeks ago.

Thanks again and I will update this as I move FW.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:48 PM
Winching

So had my mechanic look at it today... I kind of feel like I just gave him $74 and know nothing more than I already did but his machine gives much more info from codes than my hand held that's for sure.

So even with his little camera on a wire he couldn't verify where the coolant was coming from and said that it "could be the head gasket" or a few other things. but he said that its not just gas coming out of the tail pipe but oil as well. Now I realize that too.

He said that he wants to take off the IM and really get to looking around. So he says if I order the AB head gasket kit, bring oil/filter, coolant (NOT Dex-Cool), headbolts, and t-stat - that he would do the headgasket job for $700 to a MAX of $900. But that I might also have to budget for $200 of machinist fees as well. So I think I can keep it under $1,500 to get this thing back on the road and running like it did when we bought it.

I am really pissed as this $1,500 would have gone a long way to the trail rig - but that's life.

He also said that he read that people who have had all of these o2 codes at once have found that they had "somehow swapped over the upstream sensors from bank1 to bank2". Do you thin that they did this as they did the seals at a Honda dealer right before I bought this? I didn't do it as I changed the o2's one at a time so there was no way I switched them. But wouldn't it have taken less then 6months to figure this out?

Thanks guys for your help - I have to go to bed and get this LR out of my head.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:14 PM
Winching
Thumbs up Almost Done...

The head gasket was leaking, their was a little Y tube that was leaking behind/under the IM, the oil pan gasket was leaking, the passenger valve gasket was leaking, the plugs were gone, and the main seal was leaking as well.

I have all the seals/gaskets needed now from AB and I also got the head bolts, auxiliary drive belt, T-stat, water pump, and some Denso plugs (no more +4's)...

Got the heads back from the mechanist today and everything is cleaned up and checked out, block looks good, and should hopefully have everything all put back together tomorrow.

Then I can test drive it for a day and a half before I put 1,000 miles on for Christmas.

Wish me luck and pray for me please.

Old 12-23-2009, 05:48 PM
Winching
Exclamation Now what???????????????????????//

So got it done and all back together about 30 minutes ago and handed the mechanic $1,900.65. It started first try and idled great, then took it around the block and ran great as well. So i ran to the bank and the gas station and on the way back the "check engine light" started to blink then go solid then blink then go solid over and over.

Keep in mind I have all new o2's, plugs, wires, gaskets, seals, oil, coolant, hoses, belt, Etc.

I just pulled the codes and here is what I got:

P0302 - Cylinder 2 misfire detected - Injector 2 excess emissions/catalyst damaging level of
misfire

P1319 - Misfire detected with low fuel level

P0150 - O2 sensor circuit malfunction (bank 2, sensor 1) - Front sensor RH bank stoichiometric ratio outside
operating band

P0130 - O2 sensor circuit malfunction (bank 1, sensor 1) - Front sensor LH bank stoichiometric ratio outside
operating band

P0174 - System too lean (bank 2) - Multiplication injector adaptive fuelling - lean limit
exceeded RH bank

P0300 - Random/multiple cylinder excess emissions detected - Excess emissions detected on more than one cylinder

Do you guys think that I should clear the codes and put a few miles on it or should I not drive it and take it back to him on Monday?

Any ideas what it might be now?

Thanks for any help you can offer-

Old 12-23-2009, 06:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that $1900 is certainly enough money that you ought to expect him to read and comment intelligently on those new codes (for free), yes.

Quick Reply: Fuel/Spark issues maybe?