Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Functional electric turbochargers exist now...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2019 | 04:32 PM
|
Rock Crawling
Default Functional electric turbochargers exist now...

Is it time someone threw one in their rover? Let's have a fun discussion.
https://torqamp.com/

This system is proven all over the internet to work. So, assuming it works, big assumption, what would happen in my rover?

The potential problems as I see them

1. Drivetrain; Let's also preface this with the fact that I live and drive at 5000-12000 feet elevation, so it would still likely never give it more power than your stock rover has at sea level. So, not worried about the gears and trans. Now, at sea level, would you make so much power there would be a risk to the drivetrain?

2. Fueling; The engine adjusts how much fuel it squirts based on how much air it measures going in. It can read it, but would it go over the ability of the MAF to read, AND would it go over the ability of the injectors to squirt? I would again say, for me, at altitude, it would not supercede the abilities. But at sea level???

3. Heat; The system only ads on average 40 degrees F to the intake, so that's not an issue. However, the engine making another 30hp could be. I'd say it could potentially make the engine LESS hot since it wouldn't need to downshift as much. (again thinking of my mountain climbs.)

Ok, let's have a fun discussion. Be nice.

Old 11-19-2019 | 04:44 PM
TReK

A Crower camshaft(and a couple other brands)claim 20-22hp and 30-32 lb' of torque.
I have one, so I'll see if it's noticeable when I finish my rebuild.
I'm also port matching the intake manifold to heads, and heads to exhaust manifolds.
Port matching is good for a ballpark average of 15 crank hp on most V8's.
Seems like a cheaper and more simple alternative for similiar gains.
I can't see D2 ecu and injectors keep up with what boost could do.
The LS swap guys seem to have no issues with fairly stock 5.3's that make around the same power as a cammed and ported 4.6 either. The drivetrain can handle it, but pushing much more, and things will likely start to give.
As for heat, I wouldn't think a 4.0/4.6 can handle a 40 degree intake temp increase.

Old 11-19-2019 | 05:37 PM
Camel Trophy

TDI5 diesel problem solved - 3500 euro is insane for that

Old 11-19-2019 | 06:05 PM
Rock Crawling

I just watched a video yesterday about some guys installing one on a crappy chevy cobalt. They got about 20hp and torque out of it with no tuning changes or fuel changes. They then added some methanol to up the octane and did some timing and tuning changes and ended up with 40hp added.

I was just thinking that I'm glad I don't have $2500 to blow right now or I'd be getting one...

Old 11-19-2019 | 06:22 PM
Camel Trophy

Looks like it can put out just over about 15lbs of air max (not boost, actual lbs), which is about 70-100 extra hp. It would be nice, but based on the price I would prefer the LS swap. That aside, you could probably swap in bigger injectors and up the top end of the range a bit before she went too lean. Interesting thing about the Disco ECU is it never sends the engine in to PE mode where the AFR is richer than stoich. The compression ratio of the stock disco motor is too high for a boosted motor generally, although the all aluminum construction helps. You could run premium or race gas to compensate, but that adds to the cost. Intercooler would be a must.

Old 11-19-2019 | 08:00 PM
|
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Extinct
Looks like it can put out just over about 15lbs of air max (not boost, actual lbs), which is about 70-100 extra hp. It would be nice, but based on the price I would prefer the LS swap. That aside, you could probably swap in bigger injectors and up the top end of the range a bit before she went too lean. Interesting thing about the Disco ECU is it never sends the engine in to PE mode where the AFR is richer than stoich. The compression ratio of the stock disco motor is too high for a boosted motor generally, although the all aluminum construction helps. You could run premium or race gas to compensate, but that adds to the cost. Intercooler would be a must.
Don't you run premium gas anyway?

Old 11-20-2019 | 05:52 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Broken08
Don't you run premium gas anyway?
Nah, I'm a cheap bastard. Premium fuel on a vehicle with a 20:1 power to weight ratio is a waste.

Old 11-20-2019 | 11:06 PM
Rock Crawling

I get around 2-3MPG better on premium
With maths done it's even to using regular fuel

And I'm so used to using it in my new Rovers it doesn't make much difference.