Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuse 12 on D1

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 01:54 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuse 12 on D1

Have any of you had issues with Fuse 12 under the dash on your D1? I can't keep mine from popping and I figured out how it pops. So far according to RAVE its part of a multi function circuit I can stick a fuse in there and the dome light will come on when I open the door like it should when a door is opened. when I go to shut it down and will of course turn the key counter clockwise to shut it off and just before I get to the point to pull the key out I notice a faint bit of smoke coming from the key cylinder or the column cover and sure enough I go to check fuse 12 and its blown. When its blown the dome light usually blinks seven or so times when the door is opened. btw my rear wiper does not work either but thats regardless of fuse 12 being good or not. Is my key cylinder bad? my key is slightly bent and I wonder if it is completing a circuit that it should not be? My 96 is an SD model.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had that exact problem. mine was a loose relay behind the glovebox. one of the relays was off the bracket, hanging by the wires across a metal bracket which eventually wore through the wire insulation.

open your glove box, there is a spring-loaded lever on both sides that you lift up on and the glove box will swing further open, almost flipping upside down(make sure its empty). once you get there, you can see 4 relays all on one metal bracket. or at least should be...

and yes, fuse 12 will effect dome light, rear window wiper, rear defrost, cd changer, t-case solonoid

Last edited by kenk; 09-14-2009 at 07:31 AM.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:03 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

smoke coming from the ignition switch? sounds like a short somewhere in the switch wiring to me, I would strongly get this checked out because the fuses will blow to protect your wires, and by continuously replacing the fuse you could be heating wires or the contacts on the back of the switch which could lead to a fire. I think Kenk has a great place to start, I had a relay come off that bracket too but it never shorted out.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:57 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rover Chris
smoke coming from the ignition switch? sounds like a short somewhere in the switch wiring to me, I would strongly get this checked out because the fuses will blow to protect your wires, and by continuously replacing the fuse you could be heating wires or the contacts on the back of the switch which could lead to a fire. I think Kenk has a great place to start, I had a relay come off that bracket too but it never shorted out.
I think he means he sees smoke when the fuse blows. Not at all unheard of. At least that's how I understood the OP when I reread the post. My first thought was a short in the steering column also.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle

When my fuse kept blowing, the relay behind the glovebox is wired back to the ignition switch. Mine smoked too from the lock cylinder. But the short could be anywhere along there.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:08 PM
Mudding

Great info, I will check the row of relays behind glove box and yes a bit of smoke observed within/around the key lock cylinder on steering column, doesnt do it every time I really have to reverse the key to pull it out sometimes and it does that and the fuse is blown, great advice on the relays I will check those after work in 90mins.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Rover Chris
Thinkin about it, wouldn't hurt to check in the stearing column/ign switch area. If I remember right, only 4 screws that hold the shroud/cover on. very easy to get at

Old 09-14-2009, 09:43 PM
Mudding

all four relays appear intact, yellow green yellow yellow from left to right I will check RAVE to see which relay is wired into the ignition/dome/wiper/defrost circuit(s) I might have to work backwards from there.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:45 PM
Mudding

yeah... I ..uh sort of glued it shut last summer when it would not stay snapped together, ever since I got the truck the column cover would continually come unsnapped so I hit it with a few spots of superglue never thinking I would need to remove it, of course.