Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FYI rear speakers on a disco 1

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 10:41 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FYI rear speakers on a disco 1

Well my rear speakers dry rotted so I decided totry to find replacements. Well I didn't want used ones so I found some Polk audio speakers. Just so everyone knows, the rear subs are dual voice coil and they are two ohms. I put six ohm speakers in and they work great. It is safe to put higher ohm speakers in as they will not mess up the amp. Lower ohm ones would. I only used one set of power wires for each speaker. So if any one has blown rear speakers this may help you.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:48 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

just thought I would throw my 2 cents in here, just so everyone understands what oljohnboy is saying about the ohm rating, the lower the ohm rating the more power the speaker will pull, the opposite goes for the higher ratings, downside is the higher the ohm rating the less volume you will get (but the upside is generally you will get a better quality of sound). you will most likely not find a 6.5 sub that has an ohm rating low enough to damage the stock amp (these amps are fairly flexible and usually don't max out) but I would try for the 4 ohm range as this is a pretty universal ohm rating. As for the wattage most aftermarket subs have a VERY wide power handling range so I really wouldn't be too concerned about this either, you will find most are in the 50RMS - 100peak watt range which will be fine.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just ordered these, and will let you know how they sound.

http://www.lanzar.com/itempage.asp?model=MAXP64

Old 09-21-2009, 01:03 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

speakers can be damaged by under-powering them just as easily as overpowering them, those speakers are rated at 600 watts peak and 300 RMS which is way more than your stock amp will produce! I would suggest an aftermarket amp because not only will that put extra strain on the transistors in your amp it will also damage the subs.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:39 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i had put 6.5"s in my gate but the magnets were too big i had to use the sawzall to cut back some of the cate to let the magnets slide in. not much only about 1/4" inch. just a good idea to think about when ordering 6.5"s is the magnet width.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Rover Chris
speakers can be damaged by under-powering them just as easily as overpowering them, those speakers are rated at 600 watts peak and 300 RMS which is way more than your stock amp will produce! I would suggest an aftermarket amp because not only will that put extra strain on the transistors in your amp it will also damage the subs.
I'll be the guinea pig on this one and let ya know. Do you have the specs on the stock amp?

Old 09-21-2009, 11:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
i had put 6.5"s in my gate but the magnets were too big i had to use the sawzall to cut back some of the cate to let the magnets slide in. not much only about 1/4" inch. just a good idea to think about when ordering 6.5"s is the magnet width.
Measured the mounting depth and these should fit.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by 98roverguy
Measured the mounting depth and these should fit.

it wasnt the depth it was the width of the magnet. the magnets on the stock harmon kardon speakers are really narrow as well as not very deep.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
it wasnt the depth it was the width of the magnet. the magnets on the stock harmon kardon speakers are really narrow as well as not very deep.
Oh I read it wrong sorry. Well we'll just have to wait and see how it goes when they come. I'll let you all know.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:01 PM

here are the ones i bought http://www.overstock.com/Electronics...i_sku=11085905

i looked all over the web but couldn't find a picture of the magnet on these. once you pull the harmon kardon's out you will see what i am talking about. make sure not to mix up the screws there are at least 3 or 4 different sizes holding that thing together.

Quick Reply: FYI rear speakers on a disco 1