Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FYI rear speakers on a disco 1

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 05:24 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
do you have a pic of these in your truck? how did you mount the tweeter and crossover?

Old 09-21-2009, 05:44 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by oysterhead
do you have a pic of these in your truck? how did you mount the tweeter and crossover?

I didn't use the crossover or tweeters. just the 6.5's. but i also am looking at replacing the mids in the front doors and the lows in the rear doors now. shopping now.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

98roverguy, you may not run into as much of a problem with your subs as you have a D1 and hilltoppersx has a D2 they have different audio systems in them, but cant say for sure, the magnets on my D1 were your average stock size but those Lanzars do look really wide. but if they dont fit run to your local store and get a set of right hand cut tin snips and widen the holes a bit.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:52 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Rover Chris
98roverguy, you may not run into as much of a problem with your subs as you have a D1 and hilltoppersx has a D2 they have different audio systems in them, but cant say for sure, the magnets on my D1 were your average stock size but those Lanzars do look really wide. but if they dont fit run to your local store and get a set of right hand cut tin snips and widen the holes a bit.
Ya that's what I was thinking. The opening in the DI seems pretty wide (I already took a look and have the old ones out) all the way back. Not seeing how I would have space issues, but I will let you all know how it works out. I will make the speakers fit the rover not the rover fit the speakers.

Hopefully will receive them late this week or early next week. Thanks for your input fellas.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:59 PM

yeah that was my concern was the magnet on the lanzars is really wide. the magnets on my audiobahns were not nearly that wide and i had problems. let us know how it goes.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I took a look at the mount and noticed there's no way those are gonna fit. I emailed them asking to cancel the order, if they can't I'll trim the door and bend it back. The pic shows the problem. The door gets in the way at just over 1.25" deep. What a pain...

Attached Thumbnails FYI rear speakers on a disco 1-img_0847.jpg  

Last edited by 98roverguy; 09-22-2009 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle

If your looking for aftermarket speakers keep this in mind, if the speaker magnet or any part of the woofer has a total center width greater than 3-7/16" past a depth of 1-7/16" it will not fit the stock setup. Also don't exceed a mounting depth of 3". It'll hit the friggin' door, for a DI anyway. Facing the door, the right side is the worst. It boils down to whether or not you want to snip the door. I suppose it's just best to just stick with the Audiobahns since they work.

Last edited by 98roverguy; 09-22-2009 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by oljohnboy
Well my rear speakers dry rotted so I decided totry to find replacements. Well I didn't want used ones so I found some Polk audio speakers. Just so everyone knows, the rear subs are dual voice coil and they are two ohms. I put six ohm speakers in and they work great. It is safe to put higher ohm speakers in as they will not mess up the amp. Lower ohm ones would. I only used one set of power wires for each speaker. So if any one has blown rear speakers this may help you.
Do you have a link or know which model you installed? Do they have a good bump to em?

Update: Was able to get a refund/cancel as they had not shipped them yet. That's a relief! So that's a no on the installation for those speakers...

Last edited by 98roverguy; 09-22-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:02 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have actually thought about pulling the sub enclosure off the back door (mine is for looks as I built my own custom fiberglass enclosure where one of my jump seats was) and then build a fiberglass back for it that recesses into the door where the sub in the middle of the box goes (and seal the other sub hole), that way it is an actual enclosure for only one sub, I would have to cut the door up a bit to fit it correctly, but then I could have 1 sub in the door and give it plenty of power with an aftermarket amp!

but then again maybe not, my 12" sub gives me more than enough bass, and I really cant afford to do another fiberglass project (let alone the sub and amp).

Old 09-23-2009, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by 98roverguy
I took a look at the mount and noticed there's no way those are gonna fit. I emailed them asking to cancel the order, if they can't I'll trim the door and bend it back. The pic shows the problem. The door gets in the way at just over 1.25" deep. What a pain...

EXACTLY. i took the vinyl off my gate, took the enclosure off and went to town with the sawzall taking the metal back so i could get my magnets thru that small azz opening. i then put everything back together except the stupid vinyl backing. i want to put metal there like Panzer did with his nifty air craft aluminum setup... i was gonna use diamond plate but have nto had the cash to do it yet.