Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gained a whole lot more respect for Nissan today...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 11:47 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
5mph is still to fast, if you need to drive slower than that to keep from crashing then that it what you do.
End of story.
That is the law.
I know black ice sucks, but you can see it coming if you know what to look for, in the winter time the road will not be wet, if it looks wet you MUST assume that it is black ice.
you know it is below freezing, the "wet" spot is in the shade, water freezes at 32*F so that "wet" spot must be ice.
if it is night time and below freezing you need to slow down and anticipate black ice, snow, deer, naked crazy old man, whatever.
The less your visablilty the slower you need to drive, and if that means staying to the right lane with your hazards on then so be it.
Your goal is to get yourself from point "A" to point "B" as safely as possible.
And if safely means driving at 1 mph then you drive 1 mph.
I used to drive from Grand Rapids MI to Ft. Wayne IN once a week when I drove truck, it was a 3.5 hour drive one way on dry roads, one winter it took me 7 hours because of a ice storm.
But I didnt crash.
With age comes wisdom, slow and steady wins the race.
You are still young, you will learn, you think I'm a jerk now but you wont when you are 40.

JERK!!! i hate you, and you smell of garlic

Old 05-26-2009, 12:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So,

A cop pulls an older man over for speeding,
AS he looks inside the car he notices the mans wife (?) is knitting
The man puts his window down and asks why he was stopped
The officer says - for speeding
The woman immediately starts saying - I told you, you were going to fast
The man looks at the woman and yells - Shut the hell up and she does, continuing to knit

The officer is a bit put off by the mans actions and says, you know while standing here I noticed your inspection sticker is out of date.
The woman again starts saying - I told you to take care of that weeks ago and again the man snaps at the woman - Shut the hell up, she does and continues to knit

Now the officer is concerned about the woman, as he starts to ask her a question the man snaps at him What is it Now? The woman tells him he should be nice to the officer and again he yells at her to Shut the hell up, she does and continues to knit

The officer then asks the woman - Does he always speak to you like that

and she replies

Only when hes been drinking!

Old 05-26-2009, 02:43 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I am in my final days of high school and I can honestly say i will NOT miss our parking lot... 3:00pm at my school is a perfect example of why teens have higher insurance rates. Your lucky if you can make it to your car with out jumping out of the way of a speeding girl on her phone or a redneck slinging his truck around. Luckily, my spot is in a corner near a fence so the rover stays clear of the craziness.

I am a safe driver, and so are many other teens, but there are always a few who have to rain on the parade. I know college drivers wont be much better, but at least they will have a few years experience under their belts.

As for respect for vehicles, I saw mini cooper in a terrible wreck the other day. But for the size of that car, the damage was very minimal. The cabin was in near perfect shape and the front looked like it had been through a war. The people involved were fine, and I dont think that would have been the case in most cars that size. If i had to drive a small car, that wreck proved to me that Mini would be the one. But at 6' 5" i dont think i'll be in the market anytime soon!

Old 05-26-2009, 03:13 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Camdisco24
I am in my final days of high school and I can honestly say i will NOT miss our parking lot... 3:00pm at my school is a perfect example of why teens have higher insurance rates. Your lucky if you can make it to your car with out jumping out of the way of a speeding girl on her phone or a redneck slinging his truck around. Luckily, my spot is in a corner near a fence so the rover stays clear of the craziness.

I am a safe driver, and so are many other teens, but there are always a few who have to rain on the parade. I know college drivers wont be much better, but at least they will have a few years experience under their belts.

As for respect for vehicles, I saw mini cooper in a terrible wreck the other day. But for the size of that car, the damage was very minimal. The cabin was in near perfect shape and the front looked like it had been through a war. The people involved were fine, and I dont think that would have been the case in most cars that size. If i had to drive a small car, that wreck proved to me that Mini would be the one. But at 6' 5" i dont think i'll be in the market anytime soon!

I'm 6'4" and I have to admit I love the wifes MINI. I have plenty of room, In fact I don't even move the seat all the ways back. Its also good for a 2-300 mile trip before I feel somewhat cramped. That is as long as I'm with the wife. When showing it to a friend my size the front seems so much smaller.

X2 on being inexperienced and in my case stupid. One week after I got my licence I took a turn too fast for conditions in my Olds Delta 88 tank and wiped out two new cars. Luckily no one was hurt and I learned my lesson.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:46 PM
Three Wheeling

When I took drivers ed about 2 years ago, my drivers ed teacher had just gotten a new Nissan Murano. Just riding in the car you felt very safe. The features that came with it were pretty nice too. The back up camera, and that smart key thing were pretty sweet. However if you need to hall more than 5 people, its really not the best choice.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:46 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vmann7
I'm 6'4" and I have to admit I love the wifes MINI. I have plenty of room, In fact I don't even move the seat all the ways back. Its also good for a 2-300 mile trip before I feel somewhat cramped. That is as long as I'm with the wife. When showing it to a friend my size the front seems so much smaller.

X2 on being inexperienced and in my case stupid. One week after I got my licence I took a turn too fast for conditions in my Olds Delta 88 tank and wiped out two new cars. Luckily no one was hurt and I learned my lesson.
I have actually sat in a Mini, and the headroom is amazing. My biggest problem was getting in an out. It seemed like such a long way up and down!

Old 05-26-2009, 10:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I watched a Hummer cut off a semi truck only to roll over. It caused a 16 vehicle accident (3 lanes across). The first vehicle not involved was mine. In front of me a Chevy Suburban rear ended a Lincoln LS. The Lincoln hit a semi-trailer in front of it. The hood and trunk were pretty much eliminated--however the entire passenger compartment was fine. I opened the doors to allow the shocked people to walk out. Modern cars are amazing in what they can do. $30,000 in car is nothing compared to hospital bills, not to mention the priceless cost of life. We take so much for granted!

Old 05-26-2009, 10:33 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by bikingteacher
$30,000 in car is nothing compared to hospital bills, not to mention the priceless cost of life. We take so much for granted!
Very well said! specially the last sentence.

and to veer off course...

What type of biking are you teaching?

Spot On!

Old 05-26-2009, 10:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I felt kind helpless with that Murano. I wanted to get the people out, but people behind me were saying we shouldn't move them because they could be hurt worse than they think. I peeled that door back as far as I could (I felt kinda bad cause I messed that door up doing it too, even though the car was on it's roof) and waited there in case it caught on fire or something. After I helped the woman get her leg loose, she unbelted herself, and literally, that's when the paramedics got there.

I kept thinking "Dammit, if only I had one of those belt cutters!"

Scary ****.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:44 PM

Did you guys read the news of the bus driver who almost paralyzed a woman because he was texting? Wasn't paying attention and plowed through a red light. As the years go by there are more and more distractions bombarding us. That's why I appreciate the Disco so much. No fancy contraptions yet still gets the job done wonderfully.

Quick Reply: Gained a whole lot more respect for Nissan today...