Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage estimate

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 09:38 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garage estimate

I am in need of a new radiator but I am really busy at the moment and decided to take the truck over to a small but supposedly reputable shop that works on all makes of cars and trucks for an estimate. I knew that it wasn't going to be cheap but was still surprised by the estimate. They want $998 for a new aftermarket radiator made by Eurospare, installation, coolant, and misc shop supplies and that doesn't even include a new thermostat. I don't mind spending money to have it done but this is insane, the radiator cost $259 online and the coolant can't be more that $30 bucks so the labor and misc shop supplies (Gojo and paper towels) cost approximately $739. It looks like I am going to have to make the time to install it myself weather I like it or not. Sorry for the rant I just had to share this with you guys and gals.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:56 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

That is just plain old taking advantage on a person in a tight spot.
There was a guy last year you had to have a new radiator put in his DI and it was only $1000 parts and labor, and the DI radiator is $700 alone.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:14 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

the radiator is $150.00 on ebay, it is not rocket science. it does not need a land rover expert, anyone with a set of wrenchs can replace it.
If you dont want to do it, find a local garage to do it. changing a radiator in a disco is easier than most american made cars these day.
Example a Ford Tuarus the raditaor has to go in from the bottom of the car, compare to that a Disco is a breeze.
The one and only tricky thing is bleeding the system after, which isnt hard if you follow the proper directions.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:51 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I hope you make serious money if you plan on laying out that amount just cause you are busey.
Go buy a radiator on line and pay someone 1.5 hours lanor to install it along with a new t/stat and fluids.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:44 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

They may have just called the dealer for a price, which would be the easy thing for them.
Ask them for the price if you provide the radiator, or point them to one of the online Rover parts vendors and see what they come back with as a quote.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:05 PM
Winching

I didn't leave the truck with them. There is no way that I am paying $998 for a radiator with installation. I simply told him that I would have to think about it and then drove away. I am definitely going to buy and install it myself.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Lol...

Ask the guy if he is going to swallow after he blows you... What a POS....
Order on ebay....I have one at is works just fine...You can also pick up if you are in South Florida... I did..

Chris

Land Rover Discovery Radiator 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 4.0 V8 | eBay

Old 04-12-2012, 05:03 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by buick215
I didn't leave the truck with them. There is no way that I am paying $998 for a radiator with installation. I simply told him that I would have to think about it and then drove away. I am definitely going to buy and install it myself.
You missed my point.
Most garages mark up the parts some. So if he got a quote of $700 for a radiator then the total price isn't particularly out of line.
A garage is not going to shop on ebay for parts for a customer's car, so using that as a price point is naive. If they don't know about the online Rover part vendors then they probably won't get a good price. For instance, NAPA wants over $500 + shipping.
Add to that the fact you probably don't want to pay the overhead of him surfing the internet trying to find the best price for parts for every make of car he works on.
So just because the quote is high doesn't mean he's trying to rip you off.

I'm not saying you should pay $1000. That's why I suggested, if you don't have the time to do it yourself, ask how much if he gets the radiator for $400 from AB (or someone) or you provide it yourself. Though many garages won't use customer provided parts because it can lead to huge arguments if there is a problem with the repair.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Rovers North - $592.08
Atlantic British - $319.95
British Pacific - $211.25
NAPA - $410.06
BP Utah - $270
Autohausaz - $296.70
Affordable Radiators - $150.91
Junk yard - $50

Even if he ordered on line, if he used Rovers North, plus freight, plus 2 hours shop time, plus coolant, plus haz mat disposal fee, plus shop chewing gum and donut fee, etcc - it gets high in a hurry.

If forced to go used, be sure to flush thoroughly. With money you save on lower priced after market units, add an Ultra Gauge so you can keep an eagle eye on digital coolant temp. Some guys would think something that costs 1/4 of the higher end can't last. Some guys would take the average of all the prices and pick the one close to that, figuring they had enough money in there to offer a good product. Some guys would buy two of the elcheapos and have one as a spare, if you off road a lot and are remote from sources of supply.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:28 PM
Winching

Justin at Lucky8 has the Hella radiators for $208 including shipping.

Quick Reply: Garage estimate