Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Mileage Possibility Question..

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 08:56 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok that makes more sense Panzer, I appreciate it. I had always thought the car was AWD, like my Talon. Do the toyota land cruiser's have a similar set-up as landrovers?

Old 07-01-2009, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts

LET ME KNOW IF IM RIGHT IN MY UNDERSTANDING :

I just recently jacked up each wheel and put her in Drive. Each will spun on it's own while the other three were on the ground. You can't do that with a 4x4 jeep unless you engage 4Hi. As Spike was saying...our Discovery are in 4 Hi Permanently. We have NO stock option in turning this off.

in 4 hi: we are one wheel drive vehicle with Traction control that "re-routes" power to other wheels.

in 4lock: we are a two wheel drive vehicle with traction control re-routing power to any two wheels (one on each axle)

in 4 lock with axle lockers we are true 4x4 with all 4 wheels getting equal amount of power.

Last edited by jycsalas; 07-01-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^
Good information jycsalas, it really clarify for me the difference between AWD and 4WD.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:57 PM
Three Wheeling

are Disco I's different? Because in 4Hi, trying to get to the back of our property to check fences, I went through some relatively deeper mud than I thought it was and all four wheels turned.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:02 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Yes, because they have a CDL t/case so you can lock power to the axles, some D2's can also if they have the CDL linkage reinstalled.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mike is MY understanding of how it works correct??

Old 07-01-2009, 02:12 PM
Three Wheeling

it seems to me that a Disco I has the superior drivetrain and the Disco II has the superior engine. so goofy

Old 07-01-2009, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tunernewb92
it seems to me that a Disco I has the superior drivetrain and the Disco II has the superior engine. so goofy
Superior in that all D I's come with the ability to lock the t-case. I think LR thought the advanced version of the traction control on the DII would work just as well as locking the t-case and omitted it from several production years of the DII. I dont remember.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jycsalas
LET ME KNOW IF IM RIGHT IN MY UNDERSTANDING :

I just recently jacked up each wheel and put her in Drive. Each will spun on it's own while the other three were on the ground. You can't do that with a 4x4 jeep unless you engage 4Hi. As Spike was saying...our Discovery are in 4 Hi Permanently. We have NO stock option in turning this off.

in 4 hi: we are one wheel drive vehicle with Traction control that "re-routes" power to other wheels. No not quite true, power is distributed evenly, the TC only comes into play when one or more wheels spins faster than the others

in 4lock: we are a two wheel drive vehicle with traction control re-routing power to any two wheels (one on each axle) Not really, you have the same amount going to front and rear axles as the props are LOCKED through the transfer box, the TC will again brake the spinning wheels to transfer the "drive" through the differentials back to the opposite side of the axle, or / and the other axle

in 4 lock with axle lockers we are true 4x4 with all 4 wheels getting equal amount of power.
yes
Hope that makes sense. The TC system is very good, its just you have to "loose" traction (which is not ideal) before it works.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the clarifying it UP. But I am still confused. I'll try and research it. I dont even know what questions to ask so you all can answer them.

Quick Reply: Gas Mileage Possibility Question..