Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Mileage Possibility Question..

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 03:29 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

We have 3 open differentials, a open diff allows both wheels on the same axle to spin at different speeds, so when you turn a corner the outer wheel will spin faster than the inner wheel as it has to cover more ground.
Without the diff both wheels would spin at the same speed and the outer wheel would skip and wear out the tire as well as bind up the diff.
If you were to put one wheel in the air and the other on the ground the wheel in the air would spin and the one on the ground would do nothing.
That is just simple phsyics, the path of least resistence gets the power.
Now add a locker to the diff and then both wheels would spin.
Add a limited slip diff and when one wheel spins faster than the other then a clutch engages and locks both wheels together.
When you have a full time 4x4 and turn a corner each axle will spin at a different speed and because the front and rear axles are connected if the front and rear driveshafts cannot spin at different speeds then they will bind up the transfer case.
To solve this problem they put a diff in the t-case, so both front wheels, both driveshafts and both rear wheels can all spin at different speeds and not hurt anything.
When you lock the center diff you are locking both driveshafts together so that they both spin at the same speed no matter what but you still allow both the front and rear diffs to spin at different speeds.
Lock yoru CDL and try and turn a tight circle on dry pavement, you cant do it because the driveshafts cant spin at different speeds from one another.
Now add lockers both front and rear and then lock the CDL, all you can do is go in a straight line, you will have the turning radious of a frieght train.
The MPG on these trucks is not all that bad, a AWD Buick Rendezous with a V-6 only gets 16 mpg as a daily average, my 15 mpg as a daily average with a V-8 and full time 4x4 aint that bad in my humble opinion, especially not when you compare what my truck can do compaired to the Buick.

Last edited by Spike555; 07-01-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I dont have an issue with fuel consumption tbh............................................... ........

I'll get me coat!!!...........