Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas stations

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 11:32 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,174 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by BillJ
When I bought my Disco it was on regular 87 and I recently switched to Shell 93. About 20 miles after filling up with premium the check engine light kicked on for random misfire. Could this be the computer readjusting to 93 octane? Thanks

It should not be, but was it a 1 off as in you cleared the code it did not come back ? Could be iffy gas too.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,295 Likes on 1,687 Posts

I’ve been frugal and I’ve been cheap when it comes to octane rated gasoline I’ve used in all my LR’s. If you’re towing, loaded down then you will certainly be better off with higher octane fuel. However just driving around or off road you can get by with a lower rated octane fuel.

Biggest thing I see with fuel is the amount of ethanol added. It’s not very kind to the fuel pump wiring, or the rubber used throughout our fuel systems as it wasn’t designed for it. I’ve changed a few fuel pumps out that basically had zero insulation left on the wires due to ethanol in the fuel. It’s kinda like the government’s way of saying fine you don’t wanna drive a Prius, then we’ll add ethanol to the fuel & rot your vehicle out from the inside...

Old 10-29-2018, 08:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 257 Likes on 214 Posts

Lower octane meaning.. what?

In CO, we have 85, 87 and 91..

Originally Posted by Best4x4
I’ve been frugal and I’ve been cheap when it comes to octane rated gasoline I’ve used in all my LR’s. If you’re towing, loaded down then you will certainly be better off with higher octane fuel. However just driving around or off road you can get by with a lower rated octane fuel.

Biggest thing I see with fuel is the amount of ethanol added. It’s not very kind to the fuel pump wiring, or the rubber used throughout our fuel systems as it wasn’t designed for it. I’ve changed a few fuel pumps out that basically had zero insulation left on the wires due to ethanol in the fuel. It’s kinda like the government’s way of saying fine you don’t wanna drive a Prius, then we’ll add ethanol to the fuel & rot your vehicle out from the inside...

Old 10-29-2018, 10:44 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

You are correct in that the octane related needs your ECU has been programmed to accept are altitude related... Generally speaking North American destined vehicles with V8 petrol engines are programmed to operate on 92 octane non ethanol fuel. The ECU computer is not reprogrammable or tunable. The knock sensors will retard the timing to meet the demands of the fuel you choose to purchase. That just means that D2's are programmed to meet the needs of the year of design with the fuel available at that time. Pre 2004 is mostly pre ethanol. Thus given than we cant retune the ECU we have to adjust our fuel buying habits or accept the retarded timing associated with sub par fuel per the ECU programming. You can buy cheap fuel but that comes at a price in less mpg and retarded timing. This was actually a design "feature" that your vehicle could adjust to any irregular remote fuel supply to get you to the final destination... which comes at a cost.... usually both lower mpg and less detergents in the system. Keep in mind, even though D2's may be cheap now, they were sold as and still are premium class vehicles. You still have to maintain them as such....

Last edited by Dave03S; 10-29-2018 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:27 AM
TReK
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

I heard a comment the other day about winter months using regular or mid grade fuel due to the cold weather
any thoughts

Old 10-30-2018, 09:29 AM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

Never heard that before. I have heard about thinner oil in cold winter climates, but not lower grade fuel.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

87, 89, 91 (in some places), and 93 are the octane ratings around here.

Old 10-30-2018, 01:15 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 184 Likes on 157 Posts

Definitely jealous of you Canadians who get ethanol-free Shell 91.

I personally put Shell V-Power 91 in mine exclusively. I wish I could try out ethanol-free gas, but around SoCal that's hard to come by.

Old 10-30-2018, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah I find the ethanol free fuel at Walmarts & Krogers around here, but even then it’s rare & it’s normally just 87 octane. There is one fuel station that has 100+ octane racing fuel, but $$$$.

Old 10-30-2018, 01:49 PM
TReK
Received 786 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave03S
Never heard that before. I have heard about thinner oil in cold winter climates, but not lower grade fuel.
It's not lower "grade" (i.e. octane rating). Gasoline is engineered to have a different vapour pressure (volatility) in cold weather than in warm weather.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/th...line-explained

Quick Reply: Gas stations