Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauge cluster

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 07:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Gauge cluster

Tomorrow I'm going to attempt to install my temp gauge. I Think I'm going to mount it between the cluster cover and the windshield, but more in the little corner next to the A pillar.

I've looked at it today, and I can't see how to remove the cluster cover and the gauges.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

Old 09-17-2015, 07:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

gauge cluster is held on by two screws, and you have to remove the plastic housing that covers the steering column behind the steering wheel. Then be very careful lifting it up and off, the plastic breaks very easily. The gauges are held on by 4 screws to the left and right, and lift out. I removed the gauges without removing all the switches, just maneuvered the cluster cover to where i could get the gauges out.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks Joe! Came out without any problems. I changed the bulb covers to red, will have to wait til it's dark to see if it's better/worse.

Reason #2 to remove the cluster was to see if any bulbs were missing or burned out. When I turn the key to start the truck, there's a few lights that don't come on in my truck. The ABS, TC, SRS all don't light up. When I pulled the cluster out, it appears that those "cut outs" were never made up from the factory, aka they're black like the surrounding area. It's not been painted, they're just not see through like the rest of the idiot lights.

Now, I know my truck has ABS, I also know it has air bags. This can't be normal, can it?

I worry more about the air bag light than the ABS light. I really don't like getting punched in the face!

I still can't seem to find a mounting location for this temp gauge that doesn't require me to drill into the dash pad. Once I do that, I may take the cluster out, and plug just the board in to see if all the LEDs light up at start up, or if some are just omitted.