Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauge Cluster Bulb Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 09:24 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauge Cluster Bulb Replacement

The bulb behind my water temp light on my gauge cluster just went out. I couldn't find anything on the RAVE about it..

Does anyone have a step by step, or pictures on how to replace the bulbs behind the panel?

Thanks

Old 07-22-2014, 09:48 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

try TRIARII,

he just had a post about changing his to LEDS, he should be able to give you the low down.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:13 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Yup I just replaced 5 bulbs on the back on my cluster this past weekend. Was very easy to do. Ill upload my pictures later tonight when I get out of work.

Step 1: Open up the fuse panel cover underneath the steering wheel and let it hang down, doing so will give you more access to the steering column cowl shroud.

Step 2: Remove the steering column cowl shroud. This is a 2 piece black plastic cover that covers the steering column directly behind the steering wheel. 3 screws hold the cowl together and they are located on the underside of the cowl. With the screws removed, gently pry the cowl off and do not lose the screws.

Step 3: Remove the instrument panel cluster cowl. 2 screws located directly above the steering column hold the cowl together. With the screws removed gently pry off the cowl in a upward direction. Be mindful of 2 clips holding the back part of the cowl onto the dash. The cowl should come right off though.

Step 4: Disconnect all the connectors from the cowl. There are 9 connectors that need to be disconnected, 5 on the drivers side and 4 on the passenger side of the cowl. Be mindful that they must be re-connected in the same locations from which they were disconnected. The best way to go about this is to use a camera and take some reference pictures of the connections for both sides before you start removing them. That way you know where they go later.

Step 5: Remove the instrument cluster. 2 connectors are visible in the top side of the cluster, gently disconnect them and set them back against the dash. Be mindful which connector goes where. Take another picture or use some tape to label them. Next remove 4 screws (2 screws on each side) that hold the cluster to the dash. With the screws removed gently slide the cluster up and out of the dash.

Step 6: Replace the bulbs. You do not have to take the cluster apart, 5 bulbs are easily accessible from the backside of the cluster. I would advise you use latex gloves before touching the bulbs. Turn the cluster around to the back side and take a picture. Each bulb is color coded by the piece of plastic at the base of the bulb. 3 bulbs are green and they have a brown base. One bulb has a blue base and the 5th bulb has a grey base. You made need to use some pliers to gently twist out the bulbs, unless you have small fingers, just do not damage the bulbs or the plastic bases of the bulbs.

Step 7: Reassembly. Assembly everything in reverse order.

Good luck.

PS: I did not convert the cluster bulbs to LED, though I inquired about it recently and nobody responded. I used new bulbs from Rovers North.

Last edited by TRIARII; 07-22-2014 at 12:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Explorer0863 (04-19-2018)
Old 07-23-2014, 11:20 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I started the conversion on my Jaguar XJR before I sold it. The Jaguar guys were getting LED's here:
Instrument Panel Gauge Dashboard Colored Led Bulbs Lights Lamps

Old 07-23-2014, 11:28 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

nice link

Old 07-23-2014, 06:48 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by SuperSport
I started the conversion on my Jaguar XJR before I sold it. The Jaguar guys were getting LED's here:
Instrument Panel Gauge Dashboard Colored Led Bulbs Lights Lamps
Those bulbs look different compared to the factory bulbs. How exactly would we determine to which bulbs on that site go where on my truck? I want to upgrade my cluster to green LED and the climate controls, radio and clock all to LED. No clue which bulbs on that site would work for my truck.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Those bulbs look different compared to the factory bulbs. How exactly would we determine to which bulbs on that site go where on my truck? I want to upgrade my cluster to green LED and the climate controls, radio and clock all to LED. No clue which bulbs on that site would work for my truck.
Unfortunately, I'm not sure. There was someone on the JaguarForums that figured it all out for everyone. I personally went and bought LED's from RadioShack and added Resistors to get the correct brightness. Soldered them in.

Then, that link came along with the bases already on the bulbs. I never got to try them myself, but others did with good results.

You'll likely need to measure size and wattage to get it right. Maybe even contact the website and see if they have suggestions.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:59 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

I changed all of mine to LED when I saw the price of LR genuine lamps. I sourced mine direct from China the largest makers of LED's. From memory many were T5 size/type but you need to verify. I even put them in the A/C control head. I like ice blue lamps on the dash - it's so 'electrifying' I decided to do this when I refitted the original LR binnacle that was originally fitted to the truck as it was calibrated in kilometers and not miles. (europe doesn't do miles only in the UK)

Old 07-23-2014, 07:06 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
I changed all of mine to LED when I saw the price of LR genuine lamps. I sourced mine direct from China the largest makers of LED's. From memory many were T5 size/type but you need to verify. I even put them in the A/C control head. I like ice blue lamps on the dash - it's so 'electrifying' I decided to do this when I refitted the original LR binnacle that was originally fitted to the truck as it was calibrated in kilometers and not miles. (europe doesn't do miles only in the UK)
could you please post some pictures of your LED cluster and climate controls? Maybe a link the bulbs you purchased to? The primary thing Im looking to do is give my interior a more modern feel and brighter lights. I also want the clock to glow green, saw a post on it here a ways back but cant seem to find it.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:24 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
could you please post some pictures of your LED cluster and climate controls? Maybe a link the bulbs you purchased to? The primary thing Im looking to do is give my interior a more modern feel and brighter lights. I also want the clock to glow green, saw a post on it here a ways back but cant seem to find it.
Sure, will do.

I don't think LR liked their dash in ice blue though they liked that subtle subdued green glow whilst happily relieving your wallet for £4.65 per lamp the whole lot from LR would have totalled way over £50 they see LR owners as 'cash cows' and mugs.

Quick Reply: Gauge Cluster Bulb Replacement