Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GEMS 4.6 Range Rover engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 08:43 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GEMS 4.6 Range Rover engine swap

I'm almost in the process for getting another Disco, I was just wondering if it is possible to drop in a 4.6 Range Rover Engine.

The disco I would get would be a Series I Gems engine, so how hard would a swap be, any hope of this being a Plug and Play.

Since I currently have a 96 RR and have had a D1 other than the block they seem to be worls apart although out on a table hard to tell the diffrence. What about the ECU would the D1 ECU run the 4.6 would it plug into the transmission with any probs.

Would love to have the 4.6 power in the D1 and would perform pretty bad @ss off road. Anyone has any experience of this or have done this ??

Thanks in Advance

Old 10-05-2008, 08:56 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: GEMS 4.6 Range Rover engine swap

Well here in the US you can drop a DII 4.6 into a DI, but to get the full benifit you need the 4.6 ECU too.
Is the RR engine GEMS or BOSCH? Here the DII's all have BOSCH engines which require a different ECU because the BOSCH engine has more electrics that are needed for it to run.
Other than that it is a drop in replacement. Since you will be using a RR engine it might be to long. They had to change the front cover on the engine, but you could just buy a DII 4.6 front engine cover and bolt it onto your RR engine.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:04 PM
Drifting

Hey thanks for the reply spike but you see the disco I or II never got the 4.6 here. Both the disco 1 and the RR 96 are GEMS motors Here the RR got a Bosch motor in 99 and the disco II was just labled 4.0 instead of 3.9 but the motor was also changed to a Bosch same engine as a RR 4.0 SE.

So what ya think a Gems d1 to a gems RR 4.6 would be a plug and play deal. The D1 ECU has to work with the 4.6 cause there is a BeCem under the seat which controls security and basically tells the 4.6 ECU its ok to turn. but the D1 has Zero alarms or key secuity here. you can basically get a key cut out on a lathe and it works in the D1.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:10 PM
Drifting

Another thing i just realised is that the RR has coil packs and the D1 is distributer. Could it be possible to keep the coils packs or can the 4,6 be adapted to run a distributor, if yes how would one go about doing that.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:26 PM
Team Owner

As long as both engines are GEMS it will work.
However because the DI has a distibitor it will not work because the ECU doesnt control the spark.
I dont think you can put a distribitor on a non distribitor engine, there is not hole machined into the block and no gears on the cam to run the distribitor.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:36 PM
Drifting

Ok hate to be a pain and a nag. So if I pull out a RR GEMS 4.6 along with ECU and put it into a D1 it should work. I dont have to do any Engine foundation modifications or anything else. Just hook up everything I'm good to go .If this is the case ( which seems to good to be true ) I would seriously consider it. I have searched this forum and most refer to check out discoweb but for some unhole reason discoweb is not working .

Old 10-05-2008, 09:44 PM
Team Owner

Yes it should work. The only problem might be the over all lenght of the engine.
Discoweb has more infor on this swap, but yes, that site has been down all week.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:41 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get a GEM's 4.6L with a Distribitor the ECU from the RR 4.6L coil pack will
not work.
Look for help from RPi in the UK.
http://www.v8engines.com/

Old 10-06-2008, 09:14 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Why are you wanting/needing to replace the engine, is it just a bad block, if so just use any Gems short block, 4.0 or 4.6 and not consider any other options.
Other posts say you can do differen't swaps, stay away from their advise, stay with what you have and a short block.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:21 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.carcannibal.com/rover/engines.asp
Its all about what you want

Quick Reply: GEMS 4.6 Range Rover engine swap