Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What are your thoughts on Disco spare cover options?
Land Rover "oval" - A
16.13%
Safari - Stag - B
8.06%
Safari - Cheetah - C
6.45%
Safari - Giraffe - D
6.45%
Safari - Elephant - E
16.13%
Safari - Rhino - F
27.42%
Leave it alone, who cares?
1.61%
Other - (please specify)
17.74%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Genuine LR "safari" spare tire covers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Genuine LR "safari" spare tire covers?

How many of you all have these? It's strange, because I remember a period of time a few years ago when I'd always pull up behind a discovery at a light and see these type of spare tire covers - this hardly ever happens anymore (probably because discos obviously don't age very well/aren't on the road anymore, and LR3s have the hidden spares..) BUT still, I only see the boring "land rover oval" covers, which is the cover I bought mine with a couple weeks ago.

I went to the $tealership which had an original accessories DII catalog (rare!) that featured all of the designs - found the image online here:

Seems that the cheapest I can get them for (anywhere) is $120, while replica covers sell for $50 at amazon. Apparently the replica covers are low resolution and the screening is fairly low contrast, as well as being a "sketch" style with no solid green background colors. I've also heard that the LR cover is "theft proof" or something? ..this would seem impossible since that'd make it impossible to get to the bolts for the spare, but who knows. My current cover can come off very easily (the car wash almost grabbed it as a souvenir the other day )

So what are your thoughts? I'm trying to clean this disco up, since the previous owner slapped some really lame stuff on there and didn't care for the finish very well. I'm in the process of spending a few days cleaning/clay bar/wet sanding/buffing/waxing, and just bought some nice license plate frames - the cover is the next big visual impact item on my list. After that I'm contemplating 20% tint, but I enjoy the visibility of the disco so much that I'm reluctant to do it.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:36 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EstorilM
this hardly ever happens anymore (probably because discos obviously don't age very well/aren't on the road anymore
I would have to disagree here...according to a Land Rover advertisement, 75% of all vehicles they have ever built are still in use...and they began in 1948!

BTW...I have the Rhino cover

Old 01-03-2010, 04:44 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

I prefer the look without the cover.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:47 PM
Rock Crawling

Rhino cover with dealer's name....from half way across the country.

It's definitely a long way from home.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:22 PM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mwindth
I would have to disagree here...according to a Land Rover advertisement, 75% of all vehicles they have ever built are still in use...and they began in 1948!

BTW...I have the Rhino cover
I WISH this was true, but I don't see how it's possible.. with nearly $10k in depreciation every year, at this point - if someone gets involved with a MINOR fender bender (say, $1000.. a few scratches that need to be resprayed/buffed, r&r bumper, etc..) that's 30% of the value of an average mileage Discovery.

You can imagine how quickly insurance companies would total-out one of these things.

I think the unique LR owners are the only things keeping these on the road. I figure most people would have had enough a while ago (for some people, they want something they can jump in, turn the key, and run off on a road trip with zero notice - they expect 100% reliability..)

There's gotta be a catch with those figures. I just chatted to a local private LR mechanic the other day who is about to take the engine/trans out of a decent condition 97 Disco because the parts are worth more than the vehicle. I see parts cars popping up all over the internet and forums - they're vanishing off the road quicker than you think!

That's fine though, considering what I bought this thing for and what it's worth - I plan on being the last owner, and continuing to wrench away at it for however long it takes. I figure eventually, if I replace enough stuff, she might be as reliable as she was new (which isn't saying a whole lot, but who knows)?

Anyways - yeah the rhino gives a sorta badass image.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:45 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by EstorilM
I WISH this was true, but I don't see how it's possible.. with nearly $10k in depreciation every year, at this point - if someone gets involved with a MINOR fender bender (say, $1000.. a few scratches that need to be resprayed/buffed, r&r bumper, etc..) that's 30% of the value of an average mileage Discovery.
Oh, its true. I think you'd be suprised how many old rovers there are running around. Sure the depreciation is terrible, but they last forever. There is a difference depreciation and how the age mechanically. If you take care of your Disco you'll have it well into the 200,000 mile range.

As for rear cover, I like the elephant one from your list but I have this one and love it:

Name:  390.jpg
Views: 4522
Size:  129.4 KB

Its a picture of an old series land rover with a lion and graffe. The setting is African safari and I think it fits the rover perfect!

Old 01-03-2010, 05:51 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And for what it's worth -- and I know there's selection bias here -- I made a 70 mile round trip the other day to one of our locations, and I say 4 Discos, 3 Range Rovers, and 2 LR3/4s during my drive.

No partridges or pear trees, though.

I too like the tire bare. One logo on the back is good enough for me. And in fact, I could get by nicely with no LR logo on it at all. If you don't know it's a Land Rover, I don't *care* if you know it's a Land Rover. :-)

Old 01-03-2010, 06:23 PM
Rock Crawling

I'm sure that 75% figure is for the worldwide market.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:30 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I have this tire cover.
http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-5...-standard.aspx
Cam copied me because I am the best and that tire cover is also the best.

As for what these trucks are worth...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5yoKzatUkI
You cant put a price on heritage.
And you need to remember, LR's are sold all over the world and are THE most sought after 4x4.
So while that '97 is only worth $1500 here in the US in the deepest darkest part of Africa it is delivering life saving medicine and food to children.
Sure it looks like a$$, the windows dont work and the tires dont match but when it is bringing food to your family do you care?
Here in the US it's "keep up with the Jone's", in the other parts of the world it's walk 5 miles each way for clean drinking water and a old junked out Series I that smokes like a steam engine and has no brakes is priceless.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:38 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555

Cam copied me because I am the best and that tire cover is also the best.
It's true!
HAHAHA

Quick Reply: Genuine LR "safari" spare tire covers?