Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting a 02-03 with a bad head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 09:09 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting a 02-03 with a bad head gasket

I may be getting a Land Rover disco ll from my ex-brother inlaw, my sister inlaw thinks it's a 02 or an 03. It has a blown head gasket which will be fixed by a mechanic as part of the purchase, my question is this: Is there a best head gasket to purchase? Are there recommendations to have the mechanic do while hes in there fixing the head gasket? Other misc recomendations?
Thanks

Last edited by Draayer; 04-23-2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:24 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

If they have no idea what year it even is than I would stay away from that truck as it has most likely not been taken care of.
Ask her what grade of gas they have been using as well as where they get the oil changed and what type of motor oil they have been using and how often they have it changed.
I am going to go out on a limb and say regular gas and quick lubes with the cheapest oil they have and 5-6,000 mile oil changes.
If that is the case, I would say thanks but no thanks.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:29 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

has anybody used Cometic head gaskets for the 4.6? my buddy works for Cometic and can probably get me those for cheap. not that anything is wrong with mine(knock on wood) but would like to get stuff ready for when the day comes. also, has anybody on here successfully top-hatted a 4.6? if i ever had to fix a head gasket, i would go all out and do that while its out and apart.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:33 AM
Mudding
Default More info

My sister inlaw doesn't know the year but my X brother inlaw does, but as for the maintenance, you are probably right. The reason I'm looking to do it, is they owe me money and probably the only way I will get it is by taking the truck. For me it would be a mountain, bad weather vehicle so my plan was to change all fluids, do the general maintenance and maybe put 5k miles a year on it.
So any recommendations for the mechanic doing the head gasket? What head gasket should I get? Whats the best/easiest lift kit?
Thanks,

Old 04-23-2011, 10:39 AM
Three Wheeling

lift kit wise. theres 3 main kits people on here get, is either Terrafirma, Old Man Emu, or Rovertym. those are most popular.

i ordered the OME 779/762 springs and Nitro Sport Shocks, should hopefully get it monday. from what i have heard and seen, they are for the most part straight forward and simple to install. shocks/springs/steering damper

Old 04-23-2011, 12:04 PM
Winching

Oil and gas, the two biggest disco killers. You don't know how happy I was when I found mine, looked under it and saw a LR oil filter. Guy said it was serviced on a regular basis at the dealer. At least I know the used the right fluids.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:34 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Order the head gasket kit from Land Rover Parts & Rover Accessories From Atlantic British | Discovery, Range Rover, LR3, LR2, Defender, Freelander and Land Rover Series Parts & Accessories, you will also need new head bolts and then let their mechanic do the work.
Nothing special about doing the job other than the torque sequence and specs.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:37 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

And while it's all torn apart, new plugs and 8mm wires. Also get a thermostat. Check the water pump, fan clutch, hoses. Actually, if they're paying for the repairs, make them replace everything!!

Eric

Old 04-23-2011, 07:16 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by RAYMAN975
...has anybody on here successfully top-hatted a 4.6? if i ever had to fix a head gasket, i would go all out and do that while its out and apart.
When changing a head gasket you're not going to be anywhere close to where you'd need to be to install new liners (let alone do the machine work for top hats) that's all bottom end stuff. Think - engine out of truck, complete overhaul.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:11 AM
Three Wheeling

yea, i was thinking that after i typed that, but didnt change it haha it would be NICE to do, but wouldnt be practical :P

Quick Reply: Getting a 02-03 with a bad head gasket