Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting the MOST out of our 4.0 V8's

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 10:15 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I'll stick with what I've got and just make sure everything is always tip top and save up money in the mean time. So sad lol I was looking forward to having fun with this V8. Maybe I'll cut out a resonator and put a nice muffler on just please my ears for now.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:19 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow...good info! Only caveat I'd add is when it comes time to rebuild the engine anyway, than installing a stroker kit or something of that nature becomes a tad more justifiable money-wise.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:36 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Not that I'm advocating NOS, but if you use a progressive controller (Buy Edelbrock Nitrous Progressive Nitrous Controller 71900 at Advance Auto Parts), it will GREATLY reduce the impact it has on your engine by spreading the shot out over a specifice time and percentage.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

In my opinion, either go for a Chevy 350 swap or get a reman Turner 4.6 with the beefier cam shaft and modified heads. I think they advertise 30 more hp then the original, plus they have the irfon flanged liners.

I think Turner also has a 5.0 liter for the Discovery 2 but i havent seen anyone install one.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:19 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Oh you'll have fun off road for sure man don't be bummed! You're just looking in the wrong market for the vehicle... you can make a 4x4 Corvette just as easy as you can make a WRC Discovery haha... just, wrong markets. Look at the suspension, utility and cargo aftermarket out there for Disco's, it'll take days to sift through it all!!

I did forget I believe you can put the rotating assembly of a 4.6 into the 4.0 if you ever do need to do a full rebuild, but as long as you take care of the motor it shouldn't ever come to that point.

Just prepare for the standard glitchs, take care of those (front drive shaft ujoint problems, get rid of dexcool coolant, keep cooling system in good order is a priority with these, check oil leaks by valve cover rears, and of course head gasket leaks especially if they are still factory). build it up correct and youll have just as little maintenence as the next car, repair only what breaks and youre on a slipperly slope with the wallet chasing problems that only come because other problems were overlooked or ignored. think of these as top heavy boats, you gotta stay ontop of them, theyll ride the waves great, but the minute you start lettin it lean the wrong way, get ready to swim!

as far as they go though in general, you cant find a more capable luxury offroader for the money they sell for ANYWHERE. They are the best mix of a Jag, Wrangler and pickup... nice interior and bells n whistles as a luxury car but easy to clean and fix, just as capable offroad stock (and ever more so lifted with locking xfer case n tires) but the longer wheel base, HUGE backseat and rear compartment and it travels far nicer and carries alot more then any jeep could dream ( and far more comfy to drive on the highway from the longer wheel base) AND can tow a good amount of weight or haul alot of goods in the back with the seats down.

ps. if you wreck a jeep, be prepared for injuries... if you wreck one of these, prepare for a new bumper, and hope that it wasnt ur fault cause youre probably going to really whack whatever u hit haha

Last edited by grandkodiak; 09-24-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:03 PM
Mudding

Awesome input from everyone guys! I appreciate it much fellas. Just another question...

Has anyone ever done an AEM stand alone with these cars?

Old 09-25-2012, 03:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle

This is an option to increase reliability and power (+15%). Basically a top hat liner conversion with a cam, proprietary block treatment (???) & head studs.
-Price starts at $4,500
-Fixes slipped sleeves
-Plug & play (ECU, fuel system & drivetrain)
-2 yr warranty

Range Rover Parts Engine : Land Rover Engine : Used Auto Parts

This won't blow the doors off a SRT Cherokee, but almost every other option I've seen is somewhere between $6K & stupid.

Last edited by Dan7; 09-25-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Old 09-25-2012, 07:50 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

there was a guy at conclave who had a series truck with a chevy 350 in it.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:20 AM
Mudding

What if we just do OTB lol it'd sound crazy and I'm sure be insane for the time it lasted.

Quick Reply: Getting the MOST out of our 4.0 V8's