Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ghost leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 02:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Ghost leak

So, I got my Disco about 4 weeks ago. I knew it had a passenger side, front windscreen pillar leak issue.

It's only rained properly here twice since then. Once the inside got quite wet, the second time not really, but a bit.

The PO says he did have constant trouble with it, although I can tell he had never removed the headliner to look 'inside'. Only tried to tackle the problem from outside. I'm not entirely sure what he did. There is not much to see.

I've just removed the front headliner, ie dropped it down for access. For the life of me I can't find a leak.

Both sunroof gutter tubes are attached and look solid. I don't even think water is getting past the first sunroof seal. If I hose the roof and then pull the sunroof back, it's dry on the inside of the seal.

There is no rust at all, indicating past issues.

The headliner isn't that damaged, not enough to point to a likely source.

I'm starting to suspect the windscreen in that top corner. About the guttering on the outside of the car. Is it supposed to look like this with water being allowed to run down underneath the black plastic side seal? Both sides are the same.

I have had a hose pipe on the car at all angles, jetting water all over it. I've even slightly lifted up the sunroof glass to get a bit of water under there. Nothing.

From inside there isn't a drop.

I'm considering taking it to a windscreen place, have them inspect the installation see what hey say. Will they just sell me a re-seal?

Oh, now I've slightly moved the side plastic bit and it won't go back properly. Doh.

Anyway, photos.
Water is able to get behind the plastic side cover. Both sides. Is this normal?
Name:  5a9458e1606d545d34329b787b5304a3_zpsb10112b4.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  493.3 KB

Name:  74d6c11689aae849b4bd8571a59ab593_zps257b634d.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  498.9 KB

Old 10-15-2014, 02:20 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

There was a TSP about a chauking defect in the rain gutter Exactly where you took the pix. Has it ever leaked on you or just the PO?

Originally Posted by cappedup
So, I got my Disco about 4 weeks ago. I knew it had a passenger side, front windscreen pillar leak issue.

It's only rained properly here twice since then. Once the inside got quite wet, the second time not really, but a bit.

The PO says he did have constant trouble with it, although I can tell he had never removed the headliner to look 'inside'. Only tried to tackle the problem from outside. I'm not entirely sure what he did. There is not much to see.

I've just removed the front headliner, ie dropped it down for access. For the life of me I can't find a leak.

Both sunroof gutter tubes are attached and look solid. I don't even think water is getting past the first sunroof seal. If I hose the roof and then pull the sunroof back, it's dry on the inside of the seal.

There is no rust at all, indicating past issues.

The headliner isn't that damaged, not enough to point to a likely source.

I'm starting to suspect the windscreen in that top corner. About the guttering on the outside of the car. Is it supposed to look like this with water being allowed to run down underneath the black plastic side seal? Both sides are the same.

I have had a hose pipe on the car at all angles, jetting water all over it. I've even slightly lifted up the sunroof glass to get a bit of water under there. Nothing.

From inside there isn't a drop.

I'm considering taking it to a windscreen place, have them inspect the installation see what hey say. Will they just sell me a re-seal?

Oh, now I've slightly moved the side plastic bit and it won't go back properly. Doh.

Anyway, photos.
Water is able to get behind the plastic side cover. Both sides. Is this normal?

Old 10-15-2014, 02:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Do you mean Choking effect? It does drain just fine. The back has a choking effect, but looking at that it is almost not designed to drain freely, odd. But there is nothing stopping water getting behind the plastic side trim of the windscreen.

Yes, leaked twice. Once quite bad, once not so bad. Not completely flooding. Just wet headliner int hat corner. Not dripping down pillar near to electrics. Nothing on floor mats. Just soaked headliner.

i was suspecting the bolt where the roof bar attaches, but cant simulate it with a hose, just doesn't leak on me.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:14 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

I've had the roof rail leak but could cause it to happen with hose.

Last edited by Dave03S; 10-15-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:21 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sealed up the gutter joints with black silicone because it can withstand temperatures up to 400 degrees and it looks good. Get big tube with a goosh gun at Home Depot and seal every crevice you can find. It still leaks but it doesn't seem to come in from the windshield. I'll have to open the headliner like you did to examine closely, I still think it's the drains, but after your examination, I'm glad I didn't goop it up all around the skylight. Yet.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Found it! I think.

Name:  fa9fd3ddb375b45f77933e8597990593_zps4bebdd68.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  399.6 KB

The little plastic corner gutter thing is weeping around the actual joints where it was fitted in the factory.

I had to almost pry the sunroof glass open to get some water in there, to then find out it's not watertight.

That drainage system is the secondary "seal" after the rubber. So I'm guessing the water rarely gets that far, as the rubber seals are in decent condition. And then when it does get that far it's only a slow drip. Interesting that I didn't feel the water in that spot of the headliner. Although I suppose it runs to the edge and collects there.

Maybe certain conditions, temperature etc affect the glass rubber, so it leaks sometimes past it, and not others.

Ive just got to get in there with the silicone now.

Great, now I have a bit of windscreen trim I can't get back in place.

Last edited by cappedup; 10-15-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Leak fixed. Fingers crossed.

Took the headliner down half way. Not that bad a job, but it did feel like stripping half the car apart. Defo a job to do when the missus isnt going to comment.

Finally spotted the plastic corner gutters weeping, just a little bit. Seems that my main glass seal is doing a good job, and rarely do the gutters actually have a job to do.

Name:  d24ead0bff80cbaf70524ccd84a25e44_zpsd8729bbc.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  399.6 KB

Anyway stripped the tray out, and the roof unit. Note to other people thinking about it. It isnt bad. The tray just falls away when all the screws are out, then the only thing holding the rest in is the old mastic/sealant. Gently pry it up and it lifts out of the top. The motor comes attached to the tray. Nothing flys apart.

If like mine, the drain tubes are attached, and nothing is actually broken, its far easier to cut the rubber tubes and get the stuck bit off after. I was defo going to break the plastic tubes if i used force to get the rubber drain tube off.

Name:  2B9B84EE-6569-4BFC-B9B0-695B7798E667_zpswqtnydwz.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  59.3 KB

Name:  99DC6C6A-8432-4BF3-A24F-81E663037D6D_zpshbdqxrm5.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  50.1 KB

Not bonded to the plastic at all.

Name:  6EC587B6-3D8A-4782-9DD0-C93C9B92C9E4_zpsedw0xiwn.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  61.9 KB

So, i realise that the factory did use enough sealer. From the bottom it looked like they didnt. But the big thing to note is that the sealer is actually in very good condition. Its the bond to the plastic that has failed. Its stuck to the metal really, really well. I have a slight knowledge of plastics, and it looks to me that the corner bits are made from Polyethelyne. PE is notorious for nothing bonding to it, or bonds failing over time. Its why they use it for sewer pipes, and barrels, that don't want anything sticking to them. If that is the case, its a rather large error on the part of LR.

Anyway. I take them both out, they both drip. Rough them up with 80grit sandpaper. I got some really incredibly sticky roof sealer, Loctite, very good stuff. Very thick. sticks to anything. Used that. And a couple of self tappers. (ground the backs off) The corners are instantly rock solid. It just looks like its going to do the job perfectly, compared to what was existing.

Name:  68903360-943C-46D4-A5D0-E3DE6EFA0BBB_zpsadg3zxyu.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  60.6 KB

Oh, i read somewhere that if you forget to put in the little felt squares back in with the tray, stuff rattles. I made sure...

Name:  0BE398A5-6836-4DFB-8CE4-4FA4BAD95DA4_zpsmik9wi2p.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  52.6 KB

I'm lucky, i guess, the plastic tubes are intact. I thought about beefing them up, then didn't bother. I don't see how they tend to crack off in the first place. Whats happening to them? Kinky sex, legs hitting the headliner?

Headliner went back ok. Maybe a little bit more grubby than when i took it down. I didnt have any trouble with the sun visor clips, like some folk. Its all a touch fiddly, but what isnt.

Anyway, pleased with myself.

The following users liked this post:
london903 (11-01-2014)
Old 10-17-2014, 06:22 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Thank-you for come back and letting us know what you found

Old 01-12-2015, 04:37 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

They are typical of nearly all LR's, often drier outside than inside when it rains

If you want to experience serious leaks in panels the Series and Defenders are the trucks for that, they leak like cullender's

"How do you let the rainwater out of a Landrover ............... you open the doors"

On the D2's they often leak around the front screen, roof rail connections (fortunately mine doesn't have roof rails) and around the gutter joints. Another leak source, although less common, is the Alpine roof windows.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:41 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Good write up cappedup. Good luck with the "waterworks" and stay dry

Quick Reply: Ghost leak