Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Give up SLS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012 | 11:55 AM
|
Winching
Default Give up SLS?

Looking for some advice. My disco has SLS and I have really enjoyed the comfy ride that it provides. Nothing wrong with my SLS system at the moment. However, I am thinking about putting a lift on, but would like to know some pros and cons. I am looking at either a Terrafirma kit from Justin at Lucky8 or a OME lift. No steel bumpers, winches, roof racks, or anything like that at the moment. But would like to add on down the road.

As of now, I do about 85% on the road driving and 15% off the road. Not crazy trails, but some added ground clearance would be nice. I will be graduating with my masters degree shortly though and when I do, I will be buying a new car for the wife, and I will be driving our Corolla to and from work and using my Rover as my weekend toy.

Also, two other somewhat non-related questions. Does adding a lift affect the ACE system at all? I am guessing not.

And lastly, in the sticky's for the SLS to coil conversion, I cannot see any of the photos. Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Old 08-09-2012 | 12:00 PM
Administrator

Not sure why you would want to part with that ride. You can buy spacer blocks from RTE or Lucky8 to raise your air bags and adjust them to any height up to a 3" lift.
As for the lift, go to the medium duty OME for a much better quality lift.

Old 08-09-2012 | 12:04 PM
Baja

when the time come for a lift just replace your bags (just like you would a spring) and you can get 2 inch spacer that fit under them to give you the same height as your new front coil springs. Ace is not a problem unless you go wuth to big a lift, Disco Mike has a 3 inch lift on his truck and he is still running SLS & ACE.

Old 08-09-2012 | 12:04 PM
Baja

boy; he types fast

Old 08-09-2012 | 12:16 PM
|
Winching
Old 08-09-2012 | 12:46 PM
Baja

that would be spacers for the front and rear, I assume you would be ordering new lifted spring for front and would only need spacers for the rear. You can go to Arrontt to price new bags for the rear.

Old 08-09-2012 | 01:33 PM
Camel Trophy

The Terrafirma kit is great, you'll be happy with either one.

Old 08-13-2012 | 11:06 AM
|
Winching

So I may really be showing my ignorance here, but what is so great about SLS? I know it has a nice ride... is that the only reason to keep it? Just trying to get a good understanding so I can make an informed decision.

Old 08-13-2012 | 11:27 AM
Baja

the ride is the big one, but in off-road mode it allows you to raise and lower the rear an additional 2 inch, which allows you to change your approach and departure angles something that cannot be done with springs

Old 08-13-2012 | 11:31 AM
|
Winching

Hm. I know my airbags are fine, but I don't think my "off-road" mode works. When I push the button with the picture of the Rover with the arrow pointing up at the back, it does nothing. If I push and hold the button, the truck beeps at me and the light on the dash flashes orange. How are you supposed to 'raise and lower'? I do not have the SLS remote fob that does this.

Quick Reply: Give up SLS?