Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Give up SLS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 02:30 PM
Winching
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I think you have to be in low range and keep your speed below 20mph or something like that.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:42 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you have to be in low range as well. The user manual has the complete procedure in it. I remember reading it once.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:21 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the input fellas. I will check it out...

Old 08-14-2012, 07:25 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by bballjames
So I may really be showing my ignorance here, but what is so great about SLS? I know it has a nice ride... is that the only reason to keep it? Just trying to get a good understanding so I can make an informed decision.
The greatest thing about SLS is when you load the vehicle up with a lot of weight or pull a heavy trailer, the vehicle won't squat down in the back. You can't say that about any lift springs

Old 08-14-2012, 10:09 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

I'd stick with the SLS if I were you, the only real issue is the cost of replacement! But otherwise the benifits of having the SLS system seem to superceed coil spring suspension. And I agree with the comment above. Towing or filling up your cargo area really lowers your back end and raises your nose up and can reduce stability and braking. Ever see a new truck hauling a camper down the road? It looks stupid! But your system corrects that issue and maintains the vehicles level.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:30 PM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Francopacks
I think you have to be in low range as well. The user manual has the complete procedure in it. I remember reading it once.

No you don't - I believe you are confusing the SLS off road height mode with HDC, which requires you to be in low range when you press the yellow button thing.

You can't just press the off-road height button for some reason - you need to hold it (not 3 seconds or anything, but just ~1 second and release) it WILL beep (this is normal) and flash as the vehicle raises. It should stay flashing till it's at full height, then remain illuminated. Another press/brief hold will make the light flash (I think? and it beeps at you I believe) as it lowers back to normal height - once completed the light goes out.

I backed into a snow covered parking spot over a plow pile and beached the car.. pressing the button raised me over the plow hump in the parking lot and I simply drove over it into the parking spot - there are times when it's a cool feature!

In addition to redesigning the SLS system on my DII (air tank, digital pressure gauges for bags/tank, etc) I also purchased the FOB for hitching trailers. NOTE: The thing you're talking about needing the FOB for is lowering the vehicle beyond normal height. The dash button simply raises above normal height, there is no fixed button on dash to lower - you must have the FOB.

With the engine running and doors closed, you can hold the land rover emblem and the vehicle will lower substantially (tucks on 19's) - back up with door open so it doesn't adjust on 'ya, and put it in park, close door.. with hitch lined up hold the up arrow and it'll go up to normal height.

In lowered mode the vehicle will automatically raise very soon, ~5mph or maybe even when I put it in drive, I forget - once I dump off a trailer you just pull away and it'll be raised within a few seconds automatically.

I spent maybe ~$400 (a bit more if you factor in the Arnott lifetime bags) but this system is extremely reliable now - an awesome investment considering the loads of features and brilliant ride quality IN A VARIETY OF LOADS/CONDITIONS. Towing with suspension components at correct level (giving you full & original suspension/shock travel) is much safer and easier to control as well.

Another thing to consider is the fact that the DII is longer than the DI and it was all added in the rear BEHIND the rear axle. There is significant leverage with weight on the DII behind the rear axle, which is why the SLS was a REQUIREMENT on all vehicles with the rear seats when it launched, since weight back there had such an impact on height - same goes for the location of the hitch - these will multiply the negative impact of a coil conversion versus a normal vehicle.

Last edited by EstorilM; 08-15-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:08 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the great info everyone. Sounds like I will be sticking with my SLS, throwing some spacers on the bags, new shocks all the way around, and new coils on the front.

Any good write ups on this process? (obviously the front will be the same as any other lift... but wondering about the rear...)

Old 08-19-2012, 02:55 PM
Winching

Here is a good example of SLS in action.

Old 03-10-2013, 04:38 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

see next post as I messed this one up.

Last edited by Jharvey0923; 03-10-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:43 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EstorilM

In addition to redesigning the SLS system on my DII (air tank, digital pressure gauges for bags/tank, etc) I also purchased the FOB for hitching trailers. NOTE: The thing you're talking about needing the FOB for is lowering the vehicle beyond normal height. The dash button simply raises above normal height, there is no fixed button on dash to lower - you must have the FOB.

With the engine running and doors closed, you can hold the land rover emblem and the vehicle will lower substantially (tucks on 19's) - back up with door open so it doesn't adjust on 'ya, and put it in park, close door.. with hitch lined up hold the up arrow and it'll go up to normal height.

In lowered mode the vehicle will automatically raise very soon, ~5mph or maybe even when I put it in drive, I forget - once I dump off a trailer you just pull away and it'll be raised within a few seconds automatically.

I spent maybe ~$400 (a bit more if you factor in the Arnott lifetime bags) but this system is extremely reliable now - an awesome investment considering the loads of features and brilliant ride quality IN A VARIETY OF LOADS/CONDITIONS. Towing with suspension components at correct level (giving you full & original suspension/shock travel) is much safer and easier to control as well.
Hey, I would love to go back to SLS for my truck. The guy before me too the bags off as they sagged then turned right around to see to me. What is the FOB control that lowers the disco for hitching? How did you do your set up?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Give up SLS?