Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Giving Up

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 02:56 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giving Up

After 4 good years I’m finally giving up on my 2000 Disco with 128,000 miles. I hate to see it go. I’ve especially enjoyed the off road trips. I have a number of problems such as codes 1171, 1174, 327 along with random cylinder misfires that I can't seem to track down. These codes appear about every 15 – 20 miles of driving. Changed MAF and O2 sensors, looked for vacuum leaks, replaced plugs and wires and even the coils and still have the problem. This week the front drive shaft went out after only 25,000 miles. The windshield has a crack. And yesterday the ABS light came on when driving it home after removing the front drive shaft All four brake rotors need to be replaced. All of this plus the gas prices keep going up.

I don’t have the time or space to part it out. Anyone know of a salvage yard in Southern Calif that might give me a fair price? Any other suggestions on how I might get rid of it? The body is in good shape. The interior shows it’s age.

This forum has been a great help with resolving problems. Sad to see it go.

Thanks for any final suggestions
BIG g

Old 04-22-2011, 03:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Good call. Knowing when to throw in the towel is a great thing with any car. As far as it's final resting place, I know from experience that scrap yards rarely pay anything more than the free tow to their place. My best advice would be putting up a free ad on cars.com and ebay as a "parts car" or "project". Obviously you are not going to get much, but I wouldn't see why a decent shell wouldn't get you maybe $1,500 give or take. If the body panels are good, trans is good, etc... you have something.
Otherwise, check your state laws on donating it for a tax credit. At least in some parts of the country you get close to retail pricing for a running car even if it is not. Again..this varies state to state though.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Where I live, most salvage yards only give $100 or $200 max for a car that won't move under it's own power. You can probably get more at a metal scrap place. Scrap cars go for $190 per ton, and if you pull all of the parts that are aluminum off first, you should be able to get $0.50 a pound.... but it has to be just aluminum. If it's got steel in it (think valve guides, cylinder sleeves, bolts) it's more like $0.08 per pound. At just scrap, you are looking at close to $400.

Personally, I hate to see a rover be put down, hopefully someone will buy it whole from you and maybe fix it.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:46 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

do your fellow rover owners a favor and part it out..then whatever is left take it to the junk yard

Old 04-22-2011, 10:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

send me a pm and I can give you the name of a guy in Anaheim that will probably give you as good a price as you are going to find. I would think that if you put it on Craigslist you ought to get $1000 to $1500 at a minimum. There are several guys in San Diego that will give you a fair price. Good luck. Phil

Old 04-23-2011, 06:41 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Snafu / Disco Fries
Otherwise, check your state laws on donating it for a tax credit. At least in some parts of the country you get close to retail pricing for a running car even if it is not. Again..this varies state to state though.
Yes.... I couldn't believe what I got for a write-off on my old 91 Saab with a bad trans. A lot more than what it would have sold for it excellent condition.

Eric