Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good 18inch tires for snow?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011 | 11:52 AM
|
Mudding

Thanks guys, grabber at2 is good. I read mixed things about terra grappler as well, but price is good on them. Any other suggestions?

Old 01-30-2011 | 02:44 PM
Three Wheeling

I just heard about the Grabber phase out the other day too. One of my employees also works for a tire shop and he was commenting on it while we were talking about my LR.

Old 01-30-2011 | 09:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by mcgyver210
I haven't been able to get stuck in the snow with my Nitto Tera Grapplers 255/55/18s.

I have really like them & treadwear has been good also.
I was just looking at these too. The Bridgestone tires on mine right now are WORTHLESS in the snow. Any big pros/cons you see?

Old 01-30-2011 | 09:18 PM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by Snafu / Disco Fries
I was just looking at these too. The Bridgestone tires on mine right now are WORTHLESS in the snow. Any big pros/cons you see?
Yea if you could add input as to your location and use of them. I read a lot about the grapplers on Titan forums and some say they suck in snow and some say they are great. I am confused on them, priced well and look good.

The grabbers are good, hard to find and cost more.

Old 01-30-2011 | 09:49 PM
Mudding

I live up in WI and have had my Nitto Terra Grapplers going on 35000 miles now...grip is very good in the snow and they are among the best tires I've ever owned.

I've got a ton of tread left and would be surprised if I don't get another 35000 miles out of them...

Old 01-30-2011 | 09:51 PM
|
Mudding

Thank you sir, i will replace the pos wrangler hp with the grapplers!

Old 01-31-2011 | 07:43 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Disconoobie
I live up in WI and have had my Nitto Terra Grapplers going on 35000 miles now...grip is very good in the snow and they are among the best tires I've ever owned.

I've got a ton of tread left and would be surprised if I don't get another 35000 miles out of them...
For the money I think it will be hard to go wrong. What size are you running?

Old 01-31-2011 | 09:03 AM
Mudding

Running 255 55 18's...the deciding factor for me was seeing an ad on Craigslist from a guy selling a near new set due to getting deployed...the tires had less than a 1,000 miles on them and had only been on his truck for a month...

I had mixed feeling about them as well...some reviewers raved about them while others didn't think they were too hot...for the price I couldn't pass them up.

...the only dissappointing thing about them is that I have a 2" OME lift sitting here, but I'm hesitant to install it...tires have held up better than I thought they would and there's too much tread left on them for me to justify chucking them for a larger size...I'm a little worried it'll look a little goofy running stock 18's on a 2" lift even if they look much more aggressive than regular road tires.

Old 01-31-2011 | 05:08 PM
|
Mudding

Not bad, well perhaps you can sell them and get bigger tires

Old 01-31-2011 | 10:35 PM
dgh
Overlanding

'03 with 18s in Rhode Island, just fitted her with the Bridgestone Dueler Revo 2 A/T in time for last week's blast from Mother Nature.

The tires performed well in 8" of heavy crud. My driveway is a tenth of a mile up hill and I had no problems as I headed out. (see attached with any luck.) Snow plows chased me through unplowed roads about town early that morning; the tires held their own.

I've got Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snows on my other AWDs The purpose built snow tires were more sure footed in this stuff, but I wouldn't ride them year round.

Bottom line? The Revo 2's will get me to Vermont this weekend over dry turnpikes and through snow covered mountain twisties.

I'll drag the X5's out of ditches as required. Or not.

Attached Thumbnails Good 18inch tires for snow?-dsc00293.jpg  

Quick Reply: Good 18inch tires for snow?