Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good brakes for a DII

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 09:46 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Good brakes for a DII

So I need to do my brakes, all 4 rotors and pads. I have a little extra money so I want to buy decent performance type brakes. I see the EBC Performance Brake Rebuild Kit is just under $500 for everything.

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9542EBC.cfm

Are these brakes worth it or should I stick with something more standard like these?:

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9542F.cfm

Old 07-14-2009, 10:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The EBC kit is a great buy. I'm getting them for myself in a few months when I have the money.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:24 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i know many here love the EBC kit, but I'm going to stick with the Ferodo rotors and EBC pads. AB said they'd do that kit for $395+shipping. I just bought a Tom Woods driveshaft, so the extra $$ for the EBC rotors is a bit tight.

Plus, while I know brakes are important but they're not that "exciting". I'd rather put the extra $$ into the piggy bank for sliders and diff guards.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oysterhead
i know many here love the EBC kit, but I'm going to stick with the Ferodo rotors and EBC pads. AB said they'd do that kit for $395+shipping. I just bought a Tom Woods driveshaft, so the extra $$ for the EBC rotors is a bit tight.

Plus, while I know brakes are important but they're not that "exciting". I'd rather put the extra $$ into the piggy bank for sliders and diff guards.
oysterhead, Is AB really having that EBC/Ferodo kit? I do not see it on their website. Is it a over-the-phone order?

$395 sounds good, when I 'add to cart' those parts totaled $435.

It also seems like most of the rotors in the kits are not Ferodo but the standard ones.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:00 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Go with the EBC, make sure to use plenty of sound deadening spray and do a 3 pint brake bleed when done.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:34 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

OK thanks I think I will go with the EBC's.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:31 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Torancis_LR
oysterhead, Is AB really having that EBC/Ferodo kit? I do not see it on their website. Is it a over-the-phone order?

$395 sounds good, when I 'add to cart' those parts totaled $435.

It also seems like most of the rotors in the kits are not Ferodo but the standard ones.

I emailed and asked if they could make a "kit" with standard rotors (you're right, they're standard) and green EBC pads. Brian quoted $395 + shipping.

it's funny because the green EBC pads (both front and rear) are actually cheaper than the Ferodo pads, but the kit with EBC is still slightly more expensive.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:42 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I went with the EBC green stuff pads and their drilled and slotted rotors and could not be happier. My breaking power has increased as has my stopping time and I have no dust on the rims or noise of any type. I shopped around using Google and got some good prices, the pads from one place and the rotors from a place that even included the shipping. I agree with Mike that this is a great time to bleed out fluid, the fluid in your individual wheel cylinders gets the most workout and is prone to having moisture buildup which can lead to corrosion and a future rebuild.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:33 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've often wondered about REAL brake upgrades, like moving to Wilwood calipers or larger Brembo rotors. After driving 911s and 911 Turbos as my daily drivers for a long time, slipping into the Disco leaves you with this "holy crap I'm gonna hit that thing in front of me" feeling the first time you press the brake pedal...

Anyone doing anything extreme like that?

Old 07-15-2009, 06:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a similar problem. All this week I've been driving my aunt's 09 Elentra. It's a pretty cute car I guess, not really my style but it does what it's supposed to do well, and that's something I can respect. The thing is, I'm used to my 6,000+lb rover that it feels like the slightest touch on the brake pedal in that thing is enough to send an unbelted passenger through the windshield, lol.

Quick Reply: Good brakes for a DII