Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got another one, this one is a 2000 DII

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 12:44 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Talking Got another one, this one is a 2000 DII, Head Gasket and Driveshaft

Well, I really ticked of my wife this time. She called me Sanford and Son....I got a 2000 DII, Silver with dark grey interior, dual sunroofs, hi-end stereo with CD changer (although I don't know who would use one these days). New tires. The Bad, it has some type of cooling problem, probably a head gasket. I started it up and it runs great, but is was very low on coolant. I put in what seemed like a couple of gallons of fluid.

I found it on Craigslist up in the LA area, believe it or not, $1000. I had a flatbed tow it down for $300. It is a two owner, original owner lived next door to the seller. Came out of Virginia but looks like a So Cal car underneath, no rust at all. Got it off of the flatbed and gave it a bath, wow, unbelievable how clean it is. It has been parked since last August. Battery is shot. I will try to charge it up, but most likely it won't hold a charge. It even has the extended roof rails and a cargo mat. The valve cover bolts were very loose, each took about two full turns to tighten up. Consequently, the engine block is covered in oil. A trip to the coin car wash is in order, no chemicals, just some simple green and a hose down. It was getting dark when it was delivered so I didn't get a chance to see if it is sporting the original front prop shaft.

The engine sounds great, no clunking chunking or tapping. No lights on the dash, no three amigos, no weird smells (non-smoker) interior looks very nice, a vacuum and some Lexol Leather Treatment. All glass is good. It looks like the rear passenger door lock has an issue, it will not stay up, it feels like a spring is pulling is down. Once I get the battery charged/replaced I will get a better idea of what is up.

Other than getting it hot, what is the best method to check on head gaskets, cracked block, ext.

If it is a head gasket issue, I am debating just replacing the engine with another I have lined up. 85k miles on it. Installed for $1200 with a two month warranty. Problem is it may need head gaskets as soon as it is installed. I will check it and see if it looks like the hg have been changed.

Well, I sure wish that there was a cure for this. I just couldn't pass on this for only $1000.

Phil
1999 DI
2000 DII
2001 DII

Last edited by ljdiscovery; 05-16-2010 at 10:02 AM. Reason: update
Old 05-13-2010, 07:06 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To me it is just collecting. It shouldn't be a problem until you have multiples of EVERY year the Discos were made. Best of luck with the new one. It is lucky to have you.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:27 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What a deal! Keep us posted on your progress, let's see some pics!

Old 05-13-2010, 11:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle

So I gave it a good bath, vacuumed and wiped down the interior and gave the engine compartment a good Simple Green rinse. Gave it a run around the block. Runs great, rides wonderfully and brakes well. The tranny is silky smooth. Everything works like it should. My wife is even speaking to me again.....Head Gaskets are shot! It is leaking from the back of both heads. I can actually see it dripping, dang. There is no oil in the coolant and no coolant in the oil, at least none that is apparent. Now I am trying to decide between doing the head gaskets and replacing the engine. I would prefer to do the head gaskets but don't want to run the risk of finding a slipped sleeve or cracked block. I found an engine with 85k miles, installed for $1200.

I have some photos but for the life of me I can't figure out how to hook them up.

Attached Thumbnails Got another one, this one is a 2000 DII-2000-discovery-front.jpg   Got another one, this one is a 2000 DII-2000-discovery-back.jpg  

Last edited by ljdiscovery; 05-14-2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:37 AM
Rock Crawling

lj- that looks identical to my white gold '01, except mine is in the shop for a nose job. I wish I had three of them. Then I would just switch to another til 'Elle' gets home.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have the same disease as I do. You pathologically can not pass up a good deal on a rover! Its ok though because you have a support group and we can work through the issues. Worse case scenerio you can seel it for a profit!

Old 05-14-2010, 01:16 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the roof rail extensions! Nice find too.
I would love to own a DI, too bad I dont have any money. haha

Old 05-16-2010, 12:06 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Wink

So I spent some time messing with the new Discovery today. Went through a half a gallon of Simple Green trying to get the excess oil residue off of the engine and tranny.

While under the truck I noticed that it appears to have a rebuilt front drive shaft. Although it is a little odd. It has the standard zerk fitting on the front u-joint, the zerk on the driveshaft itself, a zerk on the most forward u-joint on the double cardon but not and the rear u-joint,(the one closest to the transfer case. Is the normal for a rebuilt? My 2001 was rebuilt and I thought that they put a zerk fitted u-joint on both u-joints of the double cardon?

As I mentioned, it is leaking on both head gaskets, both at the rear. I pulled a couple of spark plugs and they looked good, no indication of coolant. Before I started it today I dropped a strand of string down the plug hole. No coolant on the sting when I pulled it out, I know that is not a definitive test but it is like chicken soup, it can't hurt.

I think that I am going to do the head gaskets myself. A friend of mine is a classic car mechanic and told me he would help when it was time to put it back together. Are there any special tools or sockets needed to do the head gaskets? Other than the gasket kit, head bolts, plugs, wires and a new thermostat, any other wear items that should be changed (belts and hoses look like new). It looks like parts and machining will run in the $600 range, does that sound about right? (not including a 12 pack of Diet Dr. Pepper.....)

On the head machining, is the standard to check for warpage, I assume that I should go ahead and have the valve job done. A local shop will charge about $250 for the works. Are guides and seals usually needed (127k miles).

I am swamped at work but this is getting exciting! I can't wait to order of the parts on Monday and hopefully have them in hand by the weekend.

I did get a chance to do a detail on the interior, wow, this is a great truck, I really like the White Gold and the dark grey interior. It is missing the seat heater switches but a trip to the wrecking yards will solve that, although for $36 AB has a set with switch plate, hardly worth the drive to Otay Mesa.

Wish me luck, and if anyone has any tips, I am all ears! Thanks Phil

Old 05-16-2010, 12:25 AM
Mudding

I know AB is having a special on head gaskets and head bolts as a kit right now. Might wanna check that out.

Old 05-16-2010, 02:23 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Got another one, this one is a 2000 DII, Head Gasket and Driveshaft

Congratulations on the fact that your wife is still talking to you.
Fixing trucks is the easy part.
Keeping a good woman with you is the hard part.