Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got the dreaded oil light today...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 10:50 PM
KBW
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snowdude
ah, 50k mile 03 in vin range, bound to happen.
Yeah a few days ago I ordered a pump hoping to switch it out before anything happened but luckily either something is wrong with the oil flow somewhere or the pump is broke but nothing happened to the engine. Basically all this does is have the discovery sitting in the garage for a few extra days. Will definitely make sure the problem is 100% fixed and will install the oil pressure gauge before I drive it again.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:20 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

a new pump will not fix the problem completely, the problem is the block, not the pump. but the block itself causes the pump to fail. did you change the oil yourself? if so, how bad was the oil you took out? the problem with the pumps usually doesnt occur like that, it sounds more like your pickup tube was a little blocked

Old 03-26-2009, 02:14 PM
KBW
Mudding

Originally Posted by roverguy7
a new pump will not fix the problem completely, the problem is the block, not the pump. but the block itself causes the pump to fail. did you change the oil yourself? if so, how bad was the oil you took out? the problem with the pumps usually doesnt occur like that, it sounds more like your pickup tube was a little blocked
Oil I took out was Mobil 1 synthetic and was only used for about a thousand miles (very clean still). I just changed it to 100% know what i had in there while I was doing the rest of the 60K stuff.

I know the pump doesn't fix the problem but if it gives me 35-40K I'll be good.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:36 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by KBW
I borrowed my buddies flat bed tow truck and brought it back to my garage. I've putting the new oil pump in either way so I'm going to go ahead and have that done and then get all the pressures tested as it may be something else. No way I'm starting it up again until I know it is fixed. Thank goodness it isn't my dd. I turned the key to on without cranking so I could move it and the oil light and battery light were the only two that stayed on. Guess that means the pump is probably gone. thankfully I got it turned off without engine damage it seems.

Not mad at all about this happening as I needed to go ahead and switch out the pump and check out the whole oil system or whatever. My buddy is letting me borrow his flat bed whenever I need it which in the long run will save me a ton of $
Why throw a pump in until you verify what is wrong with the system, bad oi pressure sender, bad main bearing or plugged up oil pick up tube.
Thjink before you jump.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:00 PM
KBW
Mudding

How can I check out that stuff without going to Rover?

Old 03-26-2009, 08:13 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you are going to add a gauge, just add it first. Then see what your pressure is for yourself. Like already stated, the light will stay on for a little longer when it is cold out. It is just getting up to pressure. Plus, RP will make your oil PSI drop a little.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 105 Likes on 12 Posts

All this is perfect example as to why I added an oil gauge... one less thing to try and figure out...

Old 03-27-2009, 10:33 AM
Camel Trophy

I am actually in the works of adding a dual mount pod to my a-pillar. Oil and coolant temp. That way I know. Been debating it for a while, and wanted it to look as stock as possible. I finally found a small rack that will mount well and house 2 gauges.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 105 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
... I finally found a small rack that will mount well and house 2 gauges.
Would that rack you found mount to the A-pillar or on the dash somewhere? . Good luck with that setup and post pics when you finish it. I personally wanted to leave the pillar alone and I really like my setup more and more. I can remove it and you'd never know it was there.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:05 AM
Camel Trophy

I plan to go right above the tweeter on the a pillar. I have been wanting to do a temp gauge because the actual temp fluctuates a lot more than the factory gauge reads. I have 170K, so I figured oil pressure would be a good addition. I will do a write up when done.

Quick Reply: Got the dreaded oil light today...