Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got stuck, questions on wheel spin '01 disco

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 01:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Got stuck, questions on wheel spin '01 disco

I also have a '01 but I have no clue waht to even look for when checking for the CDL. Could someone point me in the right direction and then tell me how to use it (I don't mean "its for off roading", I mean when should you turn it on or off... before any off road adventure or just when you know you will need the CDL) thanks.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Crawl under the "passenger" side of your truck about level with front seat, put your hand up and "feel" for the CDL nipple. (caution hot exhaust), heres a piccy to help with orientation

Old 11-17-2008, 02:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So if I feel a nipple, then I have the CDL. How do I engage it and is there any way to connect a shifter like in the later models without changing out the whole deal?

Old 11-17-2008, 03:15 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Now wait a minute, passenger side for us is drivers side for you Panzer. Granted that the parts are on the same side, just drivers seat is not.

I believe that it is a 10mm boxed end wrench will turn the "nipple", and yes, there is a way to add the CDL cable so that you can do it from inside the truck.
There is also a Jerry Rig handle that you can make, open the door, engage the CDL, close door and go.

As for when to use it, that is up to your discretion. I use mine everytime I hit a trail, the whole idea is not to get stuck, so use the right gear, CDL, etc to prevent you from getting stuck.
example-gravel road to trail, t-case in hi. Hit trail, t-case hi-locked.
Same trail after rain or spring thaw, t-case lo-locked.
Pulling the boat out of the water, t-case in low.
Unplowed snow covered county roads, state highways, US expressways etc, t-case hi locked.
Driving snowmobile trails in December, lo-locked.
Deep sand, like sand dunes, lo-locked.
Mall crawling, t-case in hi.
Does that help? If you read your owners manual it will give off road tips.

Studied the pic that Panzer included, the CDL nipple is on the LH side, so theDRIVERS side, NOT the passenger sidefor NAS models.
And lets be clear, left hand side and right hand side is always from INSIDE the car no matter where you live.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Without the t-case shifter hook up (or a solenoid) you will have to crawl under the truck with a 10mm wrench and turn the nipple about 45 degrees to engage it. I engage it when I start the trail and disengage it before hitting the hard surface roads going home. You don't want to wait until you're stuck to enagage it and try to get out. Wear an old sweatshirt cause of the heat UP mentioned from the exhaust. Go to UP's site (discovery2.co.uk) and follow his instructions for installing an '04 CDL linkage to your '01. I did and it went just fine. You can also use the linkage from a D1, but the install is a little different as they '04 and D1 version are totally different in their construction. The '04 linkage is much harder to find, and costs more than the D1, but it operates very smoothly, and won't be **** to seizure from a lack of use.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:49 PM
Overlanding

To Mike's questions: I don't have the 3 Amigos on, everything seems to be working properly with the exception of the muddy water where I got stuck. I did hold the throttle on, hoping the traction control would kick in but it never did, no TC light, rear wheel spinning away fronts not turning at all. The odd thing is the truck was great on trails the same day, before and after I got stuck. The TC light was blinking occasionally and I got great traction.
I'll check to see if I have a CDL, my transfer case was replaced by the dealer before I bought I bought it so it may be the newer, non CDL version. I bought the truck from an LR dealer less than a year ago. Before I bought it I had them do a through inspection and fix everything as part of the deal, the transfer case was part of this work. I think they did a good job, it's been problem free since, runs and drives great.
Thanks

Old 11-18-2008, 02:09 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Studied the pic that Panzer included, the CDL nipple is on the LH side, so theDRIVERS side, NOT the passenger sidefor NAS models.
And lets be clear, left hand side and right hand side is always from INSIDE the car no matter where you live.
I meant the passenger side of the truck as its easier to get under and"feel" it on that side as your arm "naturally" bends up that way, not which side it is onthe transfer case, so what I said was correct [8D]......not my fault you lot drive on the wrong side of the road and confuse things

Old 11-18-2008, 02:31 AM
Recovery Vehicle

You know, I just got a Barbour jacket as an early Christmas present today. It's the first jacket I've had where the pull for the zipper is on the left side.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle

ORIGINAL: Disco2Guy

You know, I just got a Barbour jacket as an early Christmas present today. It's the first jacket I've had where the pull for the zipper is on the left side.
I'd be too confused to wear it [:@]

I get frustrated watching the camel trophy videos where you see inside the trucks and the guys are shifting with their left hand.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle

ORIGINAL: hazletbassist89

ORIGINAL: Disco2Guy

I'd be too confused to wear it [:@]

I get frustrated watching the camel trophy videos where you see inside the trucks and the guys are shifting with their left hand.
But its a UK vehicle, so thats the correct side for the wobbly bit

Quick Reply: Got stuck, questions on wheel spin '01 disco