Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gps

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 10:02 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Gps

So, what is the ideal (and most cost-effective) GPS system for off-road use? One that can save trails and such so that if/when you return you can re-trace a previous route?

I'm looking for something (preferably inexpensive and available used on eBay) along these lines, and will sacrifice on-road features/performance for practicality in off-road applications. I want to be able to save trails when I'm with others so that if I return on my own or with a different group I'll still be able to find my way around. Plus, I want to be sure I can always find my way back out of the woods!

Old 11-19-2009, 11:00 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i would like 2 know this as well... so here is my post so i am kept in the loop =-)

Old 11-19-2009, 11:14 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lowrance makes a unit that is suitable for off road use, but does not have a lot of the fancy features that Garmin and Tom Tom have. Not sure of the model, but a visit to Lowrance's website should reveal it. I have seen them sold at Wal-Mart before. They're not terribly expensive. That's the only unit I've really heard of that works well off road. Someone else might be able to provide some more input.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Lowrance and it works pretty well off road. You may need to get a different smart card with topos or some such but you really can't beat it for the price. I don't remember which model I got but it was being discontinued so I got it around $100

Old 11-19-2009, 04:17 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running a panisonic cf28 laptop,with a buletooth dongle,wireless bluetooth gps reciever,and Delorme topo 06 (I think) all was ebay stuff and works GREAT..Large maps,great details,LOTS of info like places of interest(gas/food/camp sites,etc.)
On a trip to Michiagan it showed all the two tracks,walking trails,streets,roads,creeks,ditches,etc,etc! You can save any route and use it again,even export it to many hand held gps systems.You can also plan a route and preview it before you leave the house! The topo feature give you info on elivation changes on route and when previewing.
The reciever is great and never louses the sat lock like my hand held gps did in the disco.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is a bluetooth dongle? Sounds like a rock band

Old 11-19-2009, 04:30 PM
Mudding

It does the equivalent of a bluetooth headset for a cellphone (connects the 2 things wirelessly) but instead it plugs into the computer USB port and allows other bluetooth enabled devices to "talk" to the computer. It looks a bit like a flash drive.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:34 PM
Mudding

Xengineguy, which GPS are you using? Presumeably any laptop would do....

Old 11-19-2009, 04:42 PM
Drifting

Bluetooth dongle,plugs into your computor usb port to support wireless bluetooth devices.Most newer computors are bluetooth compatable without the need for the dongle. Or you could use a usb, plug in gps reciever (delorme makes those too)
I like the wireless route...Do a search on ebay for "gps recievers" To see whats out there.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:48 PM
Drifting

I'm using the Globalsat bt 359c . Has auto shutoff and a very long batt life.

Quick Reply: Gps