Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grand Rapids Rover Rally!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 09:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Grand Rapids Rover Rally!

Okay, so I just wanted to see who lives around Grand Rapids and would like to go for a run some time. Or lat least grab a beer. I just got my Rover last weekend and don't know too many good places to go. Also, it would be good to meet some of you guys. (I would love for you to check out my front drive shaft--Do i need a new one?)

Old 05-03-2009, 09:49 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Welcome to our little forum.
I live in GR.
The closest places to go offroading start at a hour away.
We were in White Cloud last weekend.
Have you done alot of wheelinig before?

Old 05-03-2009, 10:39 PM
Rock Crawling

No I have not been wheeling much. My last car was a Beetle. It had traction control. I also do not have the greasable front drive shaft. Where can I go local to save $$$?

Old 05-03-2009, 10:44 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i also would like to join, i just got my dII this weekend, and i too need some driveshaft advice, mine was replaced but it wasnt balanced correctly, there is vibration from it at speeds of 65 and up.....like a whirring sound feel.....the guy i bought if from said the place would stand behind it but i have yet to call them......he told me about the vibration before i bought the truck, isnt too bad but def there

Old 05-03-2009, 11:48 PM
Rock Crawling

Spike, I live in Hudsonville. I love Mars Hill. I attend once in a while. I would like to arrange an open meeting time for whoever is interested if there is genuine interest. Kman--I just drove through Toledo to buy my rover in Cleveland. You are not that far away.

I got part numbers from the other posts for my front drive shaft. Spike--do you have any shops you would recommend for the rebuild around here?

Old 05-04-2009, 06:37 AM
Team Owner

I use Muffler Man here in Grandville for alot of the work I cant/dont do myself.
I do not know if he does u-joints or not though.
Leo owns the place and Brian is the guy who does most of the work, Brian is the 7' tall guy with galsses and a cigarette in his hand.
If you need major engine work, a rebuild etc then I recommend AustinJordon Engines on Clyde Park in Wyoming/Kentwood border.
Used auto parts www.autosportsunlimited.com in Zeeland, I have bought several parts from these guys and they are great, call ahead and give them a day to pull the part off of the car.
Also LKQ in Holland on Chicago Drive, it is a u-wrench it auto salvage place. (you remove the part you need)
Sharp BMW/Jaguar/Land Rover is a great dealership, just over priced on service but parts are reasonable.
If you go to the LR side and ask they will take you over the off road course, its a blast!
I am a member of www.gllrc.com.
I work Tues-Sat, but if you want to get together some time and hang out for a bit, maybe hit Branns after church or something, let me know.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:07 PM
Rock Crawling

D&R Driveline on Chicago Drive did my Driveshaft rebuild--for $40. The parts only cost me $24. Total Front Driveshaft rebuild cost--lubed balanced and all--$64.

Not too bad. Nice to have the piece of mind. That photo of the hole in the transmission was pretty scary stuff.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:13 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bikingteacher
D&R Driveline on Chicago Drive did my Driveshaft rebuild--for $40. The parts only cost me $24. Total Front Driveshaft rebuild cost--lubed balanced and all--$64.

Not too bad. Nice to have the piece of mind. That photo of the hole in the transmission was pretty scary stuff.
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Glad you got it done and are happy with the work, that price was CHEAP!