Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Greasing Deiveshaft Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 02:14 PM
TReK
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts
Default Greasing Deiveshaft Question

So I just greased my driveshafts, and whenever I do it I get grease all over the place. Sprays onto the Cat, oil pan, up to the starter when the driveshaft spins.

Am I overdoing it or what?

Old 11-16-2017, 02:33 PM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was taught to pump until you hear the ‘crack’ when working with heavy machinery at a young age. I’ve always followed this rule.

The following users liked this post:
JUKE179r (02-07-2019)
Old 11-16-2017, 02:35 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Hi, possibly. You should note whether the grease emanates from all of the UJ's you are greasing and if not wrap an electrical tie wrap tightly around those where the grease is flowing out too freely but don't forget to remove them afterwards. Greasing UJ's has gotta be one of the worst jobs on a D2.

Old 11-16-2017, 04:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by KTriplett
I was taught to pump until you hear the ‘crack’ when working with heavy machinery at a young age. I’ve always followed this rule.
Yes sir!

Old 11-16-2017, 06:08 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,167 Likes on 842 Posts

The only time I might give each joint extra (after the crack/snap)...is when...discolored grease from water distortion appears. I'll keep pumping grease until clean/fresh grease replaces discolored cruddy stuff. Wiping away excess to avoid splattering.

Brian.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:51 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Hi, possibly. You should note whether the grease emanates from all of the UJ's you are greasing and if not wrap an electrical tie wrap tightly around those where the grease is flowing out too freely but don't forget to remove them afterwards. Greasing UJ's has gotta be one of the worst jobs on a D2.
It is a pain, but you’re making it harder!

Grease is just such a pain in the *** to cleanup. Thanks for the thoughts guys.

Old 11-16-2017, 10:33 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 831 Likes on 605 Posts

Make sure that fresh grease comes from each of the four caps on each U-joint. Yes it can be messy. Deal with it. Just clean it up as best you can when finished.

Last edited by mln01; 11-17-2017 at 04:38 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:16 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,167 Likes on 842 Posts

If you live in a cold climate region, keep your grease gun in a warm location or at least bring it in the house for a few hours prior to using. This will help immensely, pumping stone cold, almost rock hard grease through a zert can to mighty difficult. Once the grease is in there, the spinnning motion and heat generated will move grease to the cups of the u-joint.

Being religious about doing it helps too. Every 3 or 4 thousand miles, depending on conditions, will keep fresh grease suspended in the cups and not allow it to become hard and baked onto the needle bearings inside joint.

Brian.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:21 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by The Deputy
If you live in a cold climate region, keep your grease gun in a warm location or at least bring it in the house for a few hours prior to using. This will help immensely, pumping stone cold, almost rock hard grease through a zert can to mighty difficult. Once the grease is in there, the spinnning motion and heat generated will move grease to the cups of the u-joint.

Being religious about doing it helps too. Every 3 or 4 thousand miles, depending on conditions, will keep fresh grease suspended in the cups and not allow it to become hard and baked onto the needle bearings inside joint.

Brian.
I disn’t Think of having it in a warm spot. Good idea.

Old 11-18-2017, 02:17 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by CollieRover
It is a pain, but you’re making it harder!

Grease is just such a pain in the *** to cleanup. Thanks for the thoughts guys.
Problem is CollieRover the grease will take the 'least line of resistance' and so continue to ooze out of the nearest UJ to the zerk in most cases and no matter how much grease you pump into the UJ zerk it will never lube all the legs of the remaining UJ's in many cases and all it does is waste oodles of grease onto the floor.

Quick Reply: Greasing Deiveshaft Question