Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding Noise... 🙄

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2023 | 12:28 AM
|
Mudding
Default Grinding Noise... 🙄

I'll do my best to describe this one.
Grinding noise when turning sharp rights
Not grinding on every right turn, a 4-way stop sign will do it.. Not on the highway
Almost feels like it's possibly grinding going straight but only for a second.. Maybe a bit of a dragging feeling for that second too.
Grinding noise happens when stopped in traffic/light/or parked.
Noise is not present when driving at any speed above 5km/h, or while slowing down or coasting.
Noise is not constant and does not always happen at a stop.. Seems to always happen on the turn though.
Just had all wheels off for new pads & rotors... No play on any wheel.. Was looking for a bad hub or bearing but from what I can tell that's not it.
Thought it was maybe a seized caliper but all the pistons compressed.
The grinding sounds like a metal rubbing on metal
I can hear it when I stop to park.. Foot on brake in drive... So I throw it in park to quickly see if I can hear anything underneath the car, but nothing.. Then I get back in the car and no noise.

Any ideas?

I have no idea what else to look for, and figured I'd throw the question out there before letting a shop take a crack at it..

Thanks!

Old 01-31-2023 | 04:59 AM
Camel Trophy

Probably a left front hub going. They need truck sized weight to be able to feel any clearance, by the time you can feel it by hand they about to fall off in the road. Its a fair amount of work but swapping left and right would confirm it.

Old 01-31-2023 | 11:54 AM
|
Mudding

@Extinct Thanks, I'll do some more reading about this and see If I can check them out again...This was definitely the 1st problem I considered but not feeling the play I moved on.
Would you be able to explain how I get this noise happening while completely stopped if nothing is rotating down there...I don't understand...

Old 01-31-2023 | 07:12 PM
Camel Trophy

Oh, so if you cut the wheel hard right, completely stopped, you get the noise? If so, it's the power steering pump

Old 01-31-2023 | 08:21 PM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by Extinct
Oh, so if you cut the wheel hard right, completely stopped, you get the noise? If so, it's the power steering pump
Negative... If I leave the wheels straight, completely stopped, I get the noise.
Like sometimes I'm waiting at a red light and it's going on.. Then I drive away and nothing. Might stop again and nothing... Make a right turn and it's there...
Its intermittent.. Not constant.. But happens often lol 🤦🏼‍♂️

Old 02-01-2023 | 05:11 AM
Camel Trophy

Ok, I'm confused. I though this was a noise when turning. You say it happens sitting still, wheels pointed straight ahead, no motion at all. Just idling. Random grinding noise?

Old 02-01-2023 | 10:14 AM
|
Mudding

Grinding when stopped, grinding when turning...but not every time, happens often though.
Drove yesterday without any noise for example
no play in wheels
just did the brakes and rotors, calipers seem fine.
No noise from hitting bumps or potholes
By time I get out the car to have a look underneath, the noise is gone.

Old 02-01-2023 | 07:09 PM
Camel Trophy

Any grinding noise when sitting still is from something between the engine and the transfer case, my top guesses would be belt driven accessory or the flex plate. You can take the belt of and see if it is the accessories, and use the long screwdriver stethoscope trick. The flex plate - nothing you can do to prevent it so drive it till it stops.