Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Was Groaning, now it's leaking. Time to deal with the steering.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 02:00 PM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Okay heading out to get degreaser and then to a car wash. Any advice on engine cleaning? Never bothered before. Anywhere that can't get wet?

Old 07-26-2015, 04:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Ok, you can get into trouble by cleaning too well, because water gets into connections.

I'd highly recommend you hose it down with brake cleaner and then wipe the oil off with shop towels. Brake clean evaporates quickly, is unlikely to damage anything, and breaks down oils to get things clean. It is my number one chemical tool and I always keep 2-3 cans handy for exactly this reason.

I buy the flammable variety. Just don't smoke while using it. Also, wear goggles so it doesn't drip in your eyes.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:43 PM
Winching

Okay, that took a while. But Mike was (as usual) right. Wasn't the steering box, but the pump.
At least as far as I can tell, it's very hard to get at. The bottom of the pump is wet and dripping down onto the box.
On the plus side the pump is cheaper!
Thinking this one from Rock Auto for all of $175:
5371N - New Power Steering Pump
I'd like to make sure I have any of the hoses or other parts that are likely at the same time.
There's a suction hose there too, that seems worth spending $15 for just in case.
Anything else?

Old 07-31-2015, 06:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Definitely replace the feed hose from the reservoir that attaches to the bottom of the pump. That hose is designed to hold up to PAS fluid running through it, but as soon as PAS fluid starts coating the outside, it begins to swell. Unless the pressure hose from the pump to the rack looks bad, that is the only other thing you would need to replace.
It's not that bad a job really. I was able to swap out my pump in the parking lot at work over a slightly longer than hour lunch break with basic tools.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:16 PM
Winching

Do you have a part number or something similar? I don't see that at any of the usual suspects.
I've been assuming it's beyond me, seems like a lot of steps in the rave. But that's interesting.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts
Old 01-07-2016, 10:44 PM
Winching

Took me a while, but I finally got someone to put in the new pump today. It was too cold here to do it myself and some time at -20ēc was making it feel urgent.
Pump & low-pressure hose from Rock-Auto (around $220), and a local steering guy for the labour ($275).
I think I did alright.
So far no groaning and all seems right with it.
Thanks again guys. I'll follow up if there are any issues.

Old 01-08-2016, 05:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Fallstaff
Took me a while, but I finally got someone to put in the new pump today. It was too cold here to do it myself and some time at -20ēc was making it feel urgent.
Pump & low-pressure hose from Rock-Auto (around $220), and a local steering guy for the labour ($275).
I think I did alright.
So far no groaning and all seems right with it.
Thanks again guys. I'll follow up if there are any issues.
Good follow up. Mines been groaning in the morning since I had it. Keep meaning to clean everything and have a look. Easy to let this slip. Nice tip with the brake cleaner. Love how that eats stuff.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:24 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Food for thought...brake cleaner is formulated for brakes. Not sure what it might do to materials like gaskets, spark plug wires, etc.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

I last posted on this thread in July, 2015. Pump went out on MLK Day, got a rebuilt one from Advance Auto and installed it in under 40 minutes. Would have done it a lot sooner, if I had known how easy it was. Total cost was 169.00 plus tax. Had a fresh gallon of fluid in garage. No more moaning and groaning and drops of oil on drive way.

Quick Reply: Was Groaning, now it's leaking. Time to deal with the steering.