Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GROM audio ipod connection to stock radio

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 03:51 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GROM audio ipod connection to stock radio

here is part 1 of my installation of the grom ipod unit. it was item # RVRA3 (for rovers 99-05) android ipod bluetooth adapter and item # ISIPD (ipod cable for charging and control) $107.98 and delivered in 3 days. score!!!
it was straightforward. i used a curtain rod bracket because i didn't realize that the unit didn't want to come out like all the other radio installs that i had done before. it really didn't want to come out, even with those hook tabs pressed in. you will see the three plugs in the upper corner. they all have to come out as a unit. the blue plug is what you want. press in the tab, slide it out, slide in the included blue plug. those two cables will plug in as so, the bluetooth cable into EXT 1 and the ipod cable into EXT 2. plug into your ipod and test before you put everything back. not like i have made mistakes and had to redo everything.

Attached Thumbnails GROM audio ipod connection to stock radio-imag0084.jpg   GROM audio ipod connection to stock radio-imag0085.jpg   GROM audio ipod connection to stock radio-imag0087.jpg   GROM audio ipod connection to stock radio-imag0086.jpg   GROM audio ipod connection to stock radio-imag0088.jpg  

Old 01-06-2013, 03:58 PM
Drifting

part 2 of install: once everything works, i disconnected the cables and tried to figure where to run them. thought about having them come out into glove box, but figured, why should i have to reach over to change songs, etc. didn't want to take apart the console to have it in the arm rest. so it was either dismantle the coin tray/ashtray or have it mounted by the shifter. i went for the mounting by shifter. threaded the cable down behind the a/c unit and it came out under the steering wheel. dropped the panel down and hooked it up to the control unit. used some double sided tape and stuck it to the inside of the dashboard in a roomy spot there.

Attached Thumbnails GROM audio ipod connection to stock radio-imag0089.jpg   GROM audio ipod connection to stock radio-imag0090.jpg   GROM audio ipod connection to stock radio-imag0091.jpg   GROM audio ipod connection to stock radio-imag0092.jpg   GROM audio ipod connection to stock radio-imag0093.jpg  

Old 01-06-2013, 04:03 PM
Drifting

part 3: now it was just a matter of cutting out a small section of the lower dash and the drop down panel to keep the cables from getting pinched. i ran them between the dash and upper part of the center console so they came out just above the cdl sticker.

Attached Thumbnails GROM audio ipod connection to stock radio-imag0094.jpg   GROM audio ipod connection to stock radio-imag0096.jpg   GROM audio ipod connection to stock radio-imag0097.jpg   GROM audio ipod connection to stock radio-imag0098.jpg   GROM audio ipod connection to stock radio-imag0099.jpg  

Old 01-06-2013, 04:11 PM
Drifting

part 567,893.2 sub section B: after i had finished, my wife chimed in with her suggestion, like where was she and hour ago when i was plotting everything out-but i digress, her suggestion was, how about it was run upwards and you could have it mounted above the radio? really? this from the woman who dislikes my placing my driving glasses there. have the ipod sitting in the cupholder while i look for a good bracket, if anybody has an idea for an ipod bracket, please post it. anyway, that is my installation. sorry about it taking so much space, haven't figured out how to keep it in one posting. getting used to this format on the forum

Attached Thumbnails GROM audio ipod connection to stock radio-imag0100.jpg   GROM audio ipod connection to stock radio-imag0101.jpg   GROM audio ipod connection to stock radio-imag0102.jpg  
Old 01-06-2013, 11:39 PM
Rock Crawling

I thought the adapter played through the ipod cable, not a headphone cable.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:53 AM
Drifting

well, as i wrote in the post, one cable is for the ipod the other is a usb/3.5mm plug that can be used for bluetooth connections. i didn't have my iphone handy, so i just plugged both into my ipod. sorry, it works with only the ipod connector. not a tech guy, just thought that this would be an alternative to that company that installs an aux plug in the stock radio at double the cost. is it the easiest system to install? no it isn't. i am sure that there are plenty of land rover owners who have changed their car systems over the years, i know i have, and i can honestly say that this was the hardest system to find aftermarkey items for. unless you want an fm modulator or a completely new system.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:24 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I prefer just having the 3.5mm coming out as it's the most universal and then anyone can use the iPhone charger that I have plugged in for power.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:38 AM
Drifting

i agree with you ZG, that is the reason why i purchased both cables since my wife drives the disco sometimes and she doesnt use an ipod, she has a -shudder- zune. also, between all my nieces and nephews that i shuttle around for my siblings, there can be a myriad of devices floating around so for the extra 25 bucks and one more cable hanging there i figured why not. sorry if it came across as a misinformation on my part.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:24 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Yeah definitely understandable! I'm glad you got the radio out, I had no idea how to do it and ended up with bloody hands after a while! I shot this video to help people that haven't done it before:

Old 01-07-2013, 02:39 PM
Drifting

not sure how big your hands are, but i'm 6'3" and have hamhocks for hands, it took me a loooong time to get my hands in and out of the headunit space. i lucked out in the fact that the previous owner had a sirius unit in there that i tied the cables to and that helped run the lines down.

Quick Reply: GROM audio ipod connection to stock radio