Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Group Buy: ABS Amigo for $159!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 09:33 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by TbarD
Where I can see the benefit of a tool look this, I am a bit confused why someone would prefer this to an actual OBD scanner. Why get a one trick pony when for the same money (or less) you can get one that will check and clear all codes.
You CANNOT check/clear ABS codes with a OBD scanner, ONLY engine and transmission codes.
The next best thing to the ABS Amigo is a Hawkeye scanner at a cost of around $600.
Each car manufacture has their own ABS codes and code reader(s), there is no standardization of ABS codes like is required by law on engine trouble codes.
So the ABS Amigo is a great and cheaper alternative.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:13 AM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
You CANNOT check/clear ABS codes with a OBD scanner, ONLY engine and transmission codes.
The next best thing to the ABS Amigo is a Hawkeye scanner at a cost of around $600.
Each car manufacture has their own ABS codes and code reader(s), there is no standardization of ABS codes like is required by law on engine trouble codes.
So the ABS Amigo is a great and cheaper alternative.
Yep, what Spike said. The reason this is such a useful tool is because the Land Rover EAS system (which includes ABS system) is really finicky - I've heard of brake dust causing a squeal and triggering a fault in the system - and three simultaneous dash lights come on all the time to show the fault (traction control, hill decent control, and ABS). It's really annoying.

Plus, and this is the real kicker, Land Rover dealerships generally charge $150 to check and clear your ABS codes, which is freaking annoying. Getting the ABS Amigo for a couple dollars more makes total sense if you plan to have your Rover for any length of time.

Get the OBD II scanner, but you won't get around needing this too.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:57 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah! I figured there had to be some good reason! I just assumed an OBD would clear this too (I should have remembered the old saying about assuming!)

My amigos come and go intermittently. Usually if I turn off the and restart the engine it automatically clears itself. The only reason I even think about this now is a lingering fear that some day a legit fault is going to happen and I will ignore it assuming (there's that word again) it is another false signal.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:59 PM
Overlanding

Could someone elaborate on what TbarD is saying and what you all are suggesting using the tool for? I am a newbie and my 3 amigos are coming on intermittently as well...do they come on so frequently (and for different reasons) that we need this tool to ck and diagnose what is causing the fault each time?...or are the lights "usually" inaccurately triggered? Thanks for the help

Old 09-13-2010, 11:23 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by lsmit605
Could someone elaborate on what TbarD is saying and what you all are suggesting using the tool for? I am a newbie and my 3 amigos are coming on intermittently as well...do they come on so frequently (and for different reasons) that we need this tool to ck and diagnose what is causing the fault each time?...or are the lights "usually" inaccurately triggered? Thanks for the help
Its not that the system is totally unreliable, just that it can be finicky. But as for the use of the ABS Amigo, yes you need the tool to diagnose and clear the codes each time they come up. To be honest I'm not sure why the amigos would come and go on their own, but I would assume it's because you had a temporary fault (maybe a veteran can address that). If that's the case maybe you don't need one for the time being. BUT, if you ever develop a persistent fault you'll need to have an ABS tool to diag and clear it - your choice as to whether or not that tool belongs to you or the dealership. It honestly depends on how involved you want to be with your rover. If you just want the codes to go away, that's fine just be prepared to pay $150 every time they pop up again.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:15 PM
1st Gear

Hi
just wanted to say thanks for organising it. just bought mine
cheers
barri

Old 09-14-2010, 11:08 PM
4th Gear

Ha - too funny. I was logging onto LR Forums tonight specifically to start a new post asking if anyone had a used ABS Amigo that they wanted to sell. I kid you not I was going to post that I want to spend about $150.

Too funny... off I go to by from the Mfr now!! Great deal!!!

Old 09-15-2010, 10:17 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by haverhillguy
Ha - too funny. I was logging onto LR Forums tonight specifically to start a new post asking if anyone had a used ABS Amigo that they wanted to sell. I kid you not I was going to post that I want to spend about $150.

Too funny... off I go to by from the Mfr now!! Great deal!!!
Lol...awesome.

Glad you could save some moolah.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Just bought mine today 9/15/2010 after I sold some Jet woodworking tools on Craigslist. Had to trade to some different toys.
My 3 Amigos visit about once a month or less. It will be good know what is going on.
I would willing to rent this out once my problem is solved for good.

Last edited by bosshogt; 09-15-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:44 PM
Rock Crawling

Just bought mine!! So long 3 amigos!!!!!

Quick Reply: Group Buy: ABS Amigo for $159!