Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guidance wanted for various terrain - driveshaft, lift, tires, brake lines

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2023, 07:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Guidance wanted for various terrain - driveshaft, lift, tires, brake lines

I’d really appreciate some general suggestions and guidance for a decent lift, driveshaft length (and the other options if it’s from TW) and tires (size and type) that’ll be good for the terrain here. We rarely have snow, but I don’t know how much off-roading I’d do in snow anyway, just snowboard trips. I’m in California where there’s just about every type of terrain (beaches, mountains, rocks here in Southern California and muddy forests and snow in Northern California), but I’m on the mountain in the south and the trails are rocky, but not boulders. There are huge boulders here, but bouldering isn’t really an option nearby. It’s also not for me - I think you need a truck you can totally thrash and I’m hoping to make use of the Discovery, but also take good care of it. When it rains here, you have to take advantage of it, so a bit of mud is part of the nearby obstacles I’d like to cover.

I’ve only seen 2” brake line extensions and wasn’t sure exactly how people add more or a lift considering that - figured you have to make your own lines or take it to a shop. I’ve never been envious of a Toyota or Jeep, but I’d really like to have a configuration that can manage without struggling more than they would, hopefully even less - I need to improve my own skill too, but part of it is the truck and since the driveshaft is probably failing, I figured I need to begin planning all of this now. Hopefully this isn’t as painful of a subject as usual - had to get through some hard stuff, but I think that’s mostly done until I get to the ball joints (sooner) and head gaskets (later).

Mine is black, but the clear coat is horrendous and it’s too hot in Southern California anyway, so I might paint it (although the black one here makes me have second thoughts) and I’ve always liked silver on these - the images are just ones I like.

Last edited by neuropathy; 08-27-2023 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-27-2023, 09:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 140 Likes on 97 Posts

I just did the 2" TF medium lift. I like it but don't have much else to compare it to other than stock with 180k on the original springs. And it's way better than that. For tire I wanted skinny so I went the 235/85-16 route. The tires are stiff E rated but I knew that going in. Stopping at 2" is considered the high point I think before other things need attention.

The following 2 users liked this post by dswilly:
JohnZo (08-27-2023), neuropathy (08-27-2023)
Old 08-27-2023, 09:38 PM
Rock Crawling

2” and tires seems to clear a lot of limitations. I like the tires, looks like a classic army truck.

Old 08-27-2023, 10:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 119 Likes on 69 Posts

You can still use a stock length shaft with 2inch lifts so you don’t really need to worry there. You’ll also go like 95% of places with 31.5” tires and you won’t need to do a ton else to support that. You’ll be able to use stock length brake lines and abs sensors without extensions. The truck also won’t handle or feel like a dog like going to 32+ tires imo.

The following 3 users liked this post by andino:
JohnZo (08-27-2023), neuropathy (08-27-2023), V50-M66 (08-28-2023)
Old 08-27-2023, 11:18 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks, I’m just doing moderate trails, but sometimes they get muddy. This one ranch road and some other places can be a problem. It’ll really only be on pavement for some kind of adventure. It’ll handle poorly and drive slowly with 32” tires? I was thinking 3” and slightly bigger tires even as long as they’ll fit without trimming metal. Someone told me they use 3” lift on the stock driveshafts, but I’m not sure if other parts were involved to make that work.

Old 08-28-2023, 12:29 AM
Received 1,147 Likes on 793 Posts

@neuropathy I am in SW BC and a 2 inch lift gets me pretty much everywhere, I run a 245/70/16 but will go to a 245/75/16 next time around they are a bit taller.

There were another 7 of those one steeper where I brushed the front bumper and a dragged the hitch.

The following users liked this post:
neuropathy (08-28-2023)
Old 08-28-2023, 02:49 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Like Richard I'm also in BC, I still have my stock suspension and am on 245/75/16. Honestly you'll get to 95% of places with good tires and a 2 inch lift, I plan on putting on a 2 inch lift at some point too but I just haven't gotten around to it. Stock discoverys are insanely capable for what they are.

The following 2 users liked this post by AjjayS:
neuropathy (08-28-2023), V50-M66 (08-28-2023)
Old 08-28-2023, 08:28 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 966 Likes on 643 Posts

I'm on 3" (ish) with stock driveshafts. You can generally go to a 4" lift with 2" extended brake lines, but I had some 3" lines made at a local hydraulic shop. Any hydraulic shop should be able to accommodate that - just bring them one front and one rear line and tell them how much longer you want them. You will not get the retainer in the middle of the line like stock, nor the plastic spiral around the outside of the line, but that is not an issue. I think I have $80 for a set of 4 new custom brake hoses same day, but you will probably pay a bit more in CA. At 3" you can fit 33s, but some 33s will rub on your radius arms when turning tight, but this doesn't cause an issue. Some trimming of the front plastic bumper may be necessary, I have not run a stock bumper in a long time so I am not 100% on that.

Your biggest consideration really should be tire choice. If you're only doing moderate trails, 32s should be adequate but I run 33s on pretty much everything. A narrower tire works better for traction. Well, let me qualify that - a narrower tire will work better in mud, rocks, snow up to a certain depth. A wider tire will work better in sand and very deep snow due to increased flotation. It really depends on what you are likely to do more of - but it sounds like rocks and sloppy mud for you, so a narrower tire will work better for that. 255/85r16 is about the narrowest 33 you can get and is less likely to rub. I run 285/75r16s on a lot of my vehicles and have on my D2 (D2 is on 35s now). They are a happy size, and very common compared to the 255/85s. More likely to rub on radius arms. I compiled a list of various lifts/tire sizes in a thread a while back - I think if you follow the link in my signature you should be able to find it pretty easily.

As for driveshafts, just find a local driveline shop to replace the universal joints and the centering ball. There are lots of options for ordering new or rebuilt driveshafts, but none that will do you any better than just rebuilding your existing driveshaft.

One of the biggest questions is what kind of tread do you want? Do you want an aggressive mud tire, do you want a quiet all terrain tire, do you want somewhere in between? I personally really like the Falken and Firestone MTs - quiet for a mud tire, but still good performance. I have a couple sets of the Firestones, but after having a set of the Falken's I am considering switching over when it comes time. I've used the Falken ATs for years and love them.

The following users liked this post:
neuropathy (08-29-2023)
Old 08-28-2023, 05:07 PM
Mudding
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I regularly offroad in snow, rocks, and only once sand. 2 inch lift, 32's of your choice (mud or AT but I've found better luck with AT on snow). If you learn the vehicle, you can do a lot stock, and a huge amount with 2" lift, 32's. I've personally never modified the break lines, or driveshafts so I can't comment on those. Wide vs narrow, It depends on what you like. I like narrow on 32's to avoid rubbing, but like Alex_M commented It doesn't have as much flotation. Tires are likely going to be the biggest difference. I've used BFG KO2 and KM3s, and like each of them for different reasons. KM3s are great in mud, rocks, but easy to lose traction in snow due to the design to fling out mud/snow, not keep it in. KM3s are also a big hit to MPG and road noise. K02s are a better for MPG, and in my opinion, AMAZING for snow. Now you mentioned you experience mud more than snow. The KM3's in my mud experiences, absolutely suck. Tread prevents mud from leaving, causing the tire to be slick and near impossible to manually clear out.

If your looking to wheel with some other D2s there's a club called Northern California Land Rovers club (https://forum.norcalrovers.org/)

Old 08-29-2023, 02:04 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 428 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by neuropathy

Anybody have a good guess what lift + tire combo might be going on here?

Quick Reply: Guidance wanted for various terrain - driveshaft, lift, tires, brake lines