Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H2 Hood Vent modification for D2!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 11:06 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not seen one of those style hoods on a LR but on a Jeep usually it means it has the Hemi under there. I go by AEV all the time, if you want to see some sweet Jeeps go to their site. I am not a Jeep guy any more, all LR now but they have some great dieas that can work for us too.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default thought i would update..

I remember someone asked me what hood louvers would look like on a DII.

Works for me...

Attached Thumbnails H2 Hood Vent modification for D2!!-car23.jpg  
Old 05-06-2012, 02:07 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know you said that you don't want riveted on, so this is non-compliant with that. However, these can be mounted in a way that looks decent if they're color matched. They're documented to work and the Border Patrol uses them on some of their rigs.

RunCool Real Heat-Escape Hood and Side Louvers

Old 05-06-2012, 09:15 AM
Three Wheeling
Default Exhaust Manifolds - coating, wrapping, ceramic

Originally Posted by grandkodiak
consider getting your ex manifolds coated with jethot or similiar (or heat wrapped)? cuts temps down rather well, seeing as they are the biggest source for heat
Seems like I came across someone who had ceramic coated headers and showed temp data of stock headers vs. ceramic coated headers....
IIRC, the ceramic coated did drop temps under the hood.
Does anyone have experience?

Old 05-06-2012, 05:19 PM
Overlanding

Jet Hot has been on my Subie's downpipe and performing great from about 50-75K now. I can't make claims to tempt drops because I didn't install, run and measure the pipe pre- and post-coating. However, visually, the coated pipe without other heat shielding does have less heat waves (whatever you call it when you can see the high temps distort the light) than the OE heat shielded pipe did. Swaintech has a very loyal following in this area as well, but I have no experience with them.

For my Subie's headers, I went with Performance Coatings in Auburn, WA (performance). They were great guys to work with and their "titanium" coating looks great. Again, I can't provide pre- and post-install temp drops because I don't have the time and money to do 2x installs for such things. However, I'm running the headers without heat shielding or wrap and haven't noticed anything that would be contra indicative of this being okay. I took a "gamble" on PC because I liked how the JH worked on my downpipe just fine, but the headers were used and a gamble in and of themselves. PC was easier for me to work with being local-ish, their prices were a little lower and their turn around was faster. And, Performance Coatings was truly a good company to work with. So far, I've got no problem giving them a :thumbup: .

Between Jet Hot and Performance Coatings, PC is more regional because people around here (Seattle area) seem to know about them, but no one outside of the region does. JH has mil contracts so--if nothing else--you know that it performs to some established standard.

Before:

After:

Last edited by vader wagon; 05-06-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:29 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I have a hood vent on my S60R for the air management system. Don't quite think it'd work for a D2 but it works well on my R.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:18 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a SICK Volvo.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:45 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm ready to see pics of the install and final results. Best of luck to you. I know I sure don't have to nerves to cut into my hood without knowing the outcome.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:58 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by ashtray
That is a SICK Volvo.
Thank you, I love it. It's about as modified as you can go without an engine build!

Originally Posted by Madlands
I'm ready to see pics of the install and final results. Best of luck to you. I know I sure don't have to nerves to cut into my hood without knowing the outcome.
That's how I felt at first, but there are many used bonnets out there to be purchased if you screw up too much

Old 02-14-2016, 12:12 PM
Three Wheeling
Default DiscoII hood vent project

Used a kit for Wranglers from Daystar, but flipped left and right sides and found the angles fit the existing hood lines/contours perfect. Looks pretty good, a tiny bit more engine noise while stopped, highway temps on a 65degree day about the same (maybe the cold air intake is breathing a little cooler...maybe). Will see how temps look thru the TX summer.

Attached Thumbnails H2 Hood Vent modification for D2!!-img_20160214_115906.jpg  

Quick Reply: H2 Hood Vent modification for D2!!