Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handbrake (parking) drum shoes

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 10:19 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Handbrake (parking) drum shoes

I'm about to replace my brake pads on all 4 wheels and was curious if anyone knows if we need to replace the brake shoes inside the handbrake drum on the transmission? Do they ever wear-out? I'm guessing no, but just curious if anyone replaced.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

good question, im sure its a dealer only option. unless you ever forgot your e-brake was on and drove away, i doubt they would wear enough to need replaced.

im doing all 4 of my brakes tomorrow too. my rear right caliper decided to start dragging the other day, the rotors were pretty bad anyways, so im doing all my brakes, should be a huge improvement, cant wait. what brakes did you go with? i went with Akebono pads and Advance Auto Wearever rotors

Last edited by RAYMAN975; 04-03-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:15 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

I don't know about wearing out, but mine stick pretty bad so for now I've just stopped using it. So maybe they don't need to be replaced often (if ever) but, it's probably a good idea to pull off the drum and at least clean them up if not put a little grease on the backing plate under the shoe contacts. I'm not sure though if it's the brakes themselves sticking or just the cable but I'll figure that out when I get it apart, I guess.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

They typically don't wear out. Usually replacement is only warranted if they become oil soaked from a leaking output seal, or if you use them often as an emergency brake, as opposed to a parking brake.

For example, the shoes on my '62 88, which has the same basic design parking brake, are still fine.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by RAYMAN975
good question, im sure its a dealer only option. unless you ever forgot your e-brake was on and drove away, i doubt they would wear enough to need replaced.

im doing all 4 of my brakes tomorrow too. my rear right caliper decided to start dragging the other day, the rotors were pretty bad anyways, so im doing all my brakes, should be a huge improvement, cant wait. what brakes did you go with? i went with Akebono pads and Advance Auto Wearever rotors
I doubt the e-brake shoes wear as well, but this is a Disco...

I too went with Akebono pads, but keeping my stock rotors. I replaced the pads and rotors at 47K with genuine LR parts from the stealership (yea, that was stupid...but before I found this site back in 2008). I have roughly 28K since my last replacement and the LR rotors are still very smooth, but my pads are about 75% gone.

Unless anyone suggests otherwise, I think I will leave my handbrake shoes alone and assume it is very rare to replace. It still only takes me 3 "clicks" when I pull the handle to tighly lock the rear drive shaft.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:34 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by antichrist
They typically don't wear out. Usually replacement is only warranted if they become oil soaked from a leaking output seal, or if you use them often as an emergency brake, as opposed to a parking brake.

For example, the shoes on my '62 88, which has the same basic design parking brake, are still fine.
Thanks Tom...I will leave mine alone.