Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard to shift transfercase

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 03:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard to shift transfercase

Today I put my transfercase in low range. It shifted in to low easy but shifting back to high was very difficult. I drover forward at about 5mph shifted transmission into neutral while rolling and tried to shift transfecase into high, it would not go. Also tried this in reverse. And again forward finally it went into high. This is probably caused by lack of use of the transfercase shifter. Is there any maintenance needed for the shifter?

Willie

Old 01-02-2009, 03:35 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Hard to shift transfercase

Once a week, parked put the trans in neutral and set there and shift the transfer case it will be hard at first go slow don't force it,,, you can spray some wd-40 or something like that from the bottom to help.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:50 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Are you driving a D2 or D1?
D2's rarely have shift problems unless you drive on hard surface and the drive line binds up from too much torque.
Take it on to a dirst, nud or snow surface and do mutilpe shifts to make sure it is freed up.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:03 PM
Rock Crawling

It is a 2000 Series II. I have a cdl linkage that I have been using in the snow and ice. I have driven on wet roads with it engaged but never dry. It has not been engaged for the past few days now that the snow is thawing out. I have been going up my driveway on frozen snow with plenty of wheel spin without cdl engaged. I will try shifting it some more.

Willie

Old 01-03-2009, 02:45 PM
Rock Crawling

It is shifting easy now. I shifted to high and low several timeswith no resistance. I guess I just need to use it more.

Thank you,
Willie

Old 01-03-2009, 07:02 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Once a month, wether you are needing to use it or not, shift it once a month, did I mention once a month?
I shift mine through all the gears once a month, shift yours once a month.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine would not shift because of a solenoid that wasn't getting 12 volts when I was in neutral

it would work sometimes, other times it wouldn't (I love discos and their electronics )

I have a D1, but I know you have the same solenoid, I just removed mine.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:28 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

tom-How did you remove the solenoid?

Old 01-03-2009, 09:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was doing this I would have loved a guide or someone who has done it previously to ask questions. So here is my VERY rough guide. If people would like i'll go to the junkyard and take some pictures of exactly what you need to see.

I took out the center console

took out the 4WD/DIFF lever and linkage

you will then be able to take out the light that lights up your P R N D 3 2 1 lights and put this through the new hole in the middle of your car , it is the PERFECT length

The solenoid will be:

Now you will see something Like this:

So now you remove the 4 bolts holding the cover over the solenoid in.

It should be this simple however land rover put RTV sealant between the cover and the case. This means you will need to squeeze a blow torch down there and start heating it up for a good 30 seconds. I then recomend using a pry bar to start having the cover come up, you may need to use more blow torch

once the cover is off you can pull out the solenoid by the wires (be careful as they are weak)

Unhook the wires (there is a connector) and pull the solenoid out.

After you have it out test it by running 12 volts across it. If this works then you have a working solenoid and ****ty electronics in your disco.

I recommend just putting the cover back on without the solenoid in it, as if you are on this forum, hopefully you realize that engaging 4WD low in drive is bad

This is all I did, however if you have a hard time getting into small places, then I recommend you take out the gear selector, and drill the rivets around the entire middle peice under the console. (you'll know what I mean)

IF THERE ARE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE ASK, IF ANYTHING IS UNCLEAR PLEASE ASK, I could not find instructions for this ANYWHERE so hopefully people will find this if they are searching

Old 01-03-2009, 11:21 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Since it is snowing here in the Denver area I decided it was a good opportunity to use my CDL and make sure it still works. It worked great but I found out that my selector is stiff enough that I have trouble moving it because of my screwed up shoulder. But the good news is that everything worked great, except my shoulder.

Quick Reply: Hard to shift transfercase