Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard to start

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 07:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hard to start

i know that is a common tread but seems mine may be a little different. Wont start on first crank...but stop and press the accelerator twice and she fires up. Any ideas? Thought maybe CPS. I appreciate the help. Oh 118,000 and runs great once going.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:22 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Sounds like a bad fuel pump.

Pumping the gas pedal does nothing, it is fuel injected and they only inject fuel when the engine is running.
Thats what the crank sensor does, it tells the ECU the engine is running and to provide power to the fuel pump.
Turn the key on and the fuel pump gets power for 3-5 seconds and then shuts back off unless the engine is running.
Turning the key on and then back off and on again primes the fuel system when your pump is going bad.
Eventually it wont work at all.
Next time it does it try to start it, turn the key back off, turn the key back on and then try and start it.
Fuel pump is a easy DIY, there is a panel under the carpet in the cargo area.
Budget one hour for this repair.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:36 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks Spike...should I do the fuel filter first? I just got this 02 and so far have only done the cooling flush and changed the power steering fluid. Wanted to do the throttle body heater next (leak) but can move that to later. Oh..and where is the fuel filter?

Old 10-18-2010, 09:37 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Fuel filter is on the fuel pump on the DIIs. It's actually a strainer, but does more or less the same thing as a filter. No external fuel filter.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:11 AM
Rock Crawling

Thanks! I understand reading through some treads that I can actually replace the pump and not have to purchase the whole unit. The instructions were for a 99. Is mine the same being an 02. The part number is a Master E3270 and the filter is FS22. Any advice on this procedure would be appreciated.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:20 PM
Rock Crawling

Still wondering about the pump replacement vs the whole unit. Any chance? I did the check turing the switch to 2nd position 3 times and it will start but with difficulty. Can turn to 2nd position twice and press the accelerator pedal a couple of time and starts up. I guess somewhat confused. It runs great after it starts..no hesitation, or lack of power. Never stalls, and idles fine.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:45 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Inorder to 100% confirm that the fuel pump is going south you will need to do a fuel system pressure check.
You would need to hook up the fuel PSI gauge the night before, run the engine for a few min and then shut it off and let it sit overnight.
The gauge should still read 30+ psi after sitting all night and should read 32+ psi at idle.
If not then your fuel pump is leaking down and not holding pressure.

I do not know if the part number for the '99 is the same for your truck or not, if it is a '99 DII then yes, it will work.
If it is a '99 DI then I do not know if it will work or not.
I am pretty sure it will but not 100% sure.
People have had mixed results rebuilding their own fuel pumps, so just a word of caution.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:57 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you taken the cover plate off where the fuel pump resides (under the carpet in the rear compartment) to see what physical condition everything is in???

I don't know about the DII's but my DI had a nasty crack in the plastic top plate that allowed pressure to leak down. See the pics below. The fuel filter had also corroded to what was once the clamp that held it in place. The filter developed a pinhole leak upon touching it.

If you have not removed the carpets and taken a look under the black cover plate for the fuel pump, I strongly advise it. Have fun.

Attached Thumbnails Hard to start-disco-april-2-2010-076.jpg   Hard to start-disco-april-2-2010-065.jpg   Hard to start-disco-april-2-2010-073.jpg  
Old 10-19-2010, 10:16 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We replaced the pump in the fuel sending unit on our Disco I. Bought it on ebay and installed it. Worked fine for about 8 weeks. Then failed. The problem we encountered is that the replacement pump did not pump at a high enough volume rate in normal operation. The pump then overworked itself and failed. We went ahead and replaced the entire Fuel Sending Unit and it has worked perfectly ever since. If you consider the replacement pump, I would be careful to ensure that it has the capacity required.

Also if interested I have a used OEM Complete Fuel Sending unit out of an '02 Disco II available.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:35 AM
Rock Crawling

Thanks All - and Spike knows his stuff. No pressure this AM. So as I resolve this issue in my mind...seems the pump is fine since once started it drives fine..it is a starting issue fuel pressure issue. Has to pressure up each time you start it. Thanks Spike. And Kevin sent you a private message. I'm going to replace the unit.

Quick Reply: Hard to start