Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard start...dies while driving

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 11:07 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hard start...dies while driving

I have an 01 DII that is giving me issues. Last week after driving to the store, inside 20 min or so I came out and it would not start. After 10 min or so it crnked with no prob. Once started it would not duplicate prob. Then yesterday it did the same thing except this time 1 block from the house it dies. I wait a few minutes and it cranks like nothing ever happened. any ideas?????????????[>:]

Old 04-03-2007, 02:21 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Hard start...dies while driving

Will it crank when you try to start it? If not, your starter may be going out....

Old 04-03-2007, 02:44 PM
Mudding

It cranks no prob, just turns. Let it sit for minute and voila it starts like nothings wrong. Could the MAF cause a prob like this??

Old 04-03-2007, 05:36 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

It is not the MAF. Do you get a check engine light when this happens?
Mike

Old 04-03-2007, 09:42 PM
Mudding

I had a SES light that was already illuminated, I don't remeber the #'s but it was for 1,3,&5 misfires. I was T/S that when my start problem began. I changed the wires (magnecor) and plugs (Bosch Platinum 4). I do need to get the OBDII on it. I am in flight school and have been rather consumed. I have a short break now so I am trying to get it running good before I go back in training.
Thanks for all the help.
Rob

Old 04-04-2007, 09:32 AM
Mudding

Update:
Went through last night checking for lose wiring. Found none. Cleaned off battery and assoc hardware, checked batt wiring,started and ran no problem. Drove around the neaighborhood + miles or so, got home, truned it off, and would not start again.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:06 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Need to get the codes read then get back to us. One other possibility could be a failing inerita switch, if the codes show nothing then it may be time to by pass this switch and see what happens.
Mike

Old 04-05-2007, 11:09 AM
Mudding

Thanks for the help Mike, I have a friend with a reader I'm trying to get for the weekend.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:32 AM
Mudding

OK, still no codes, last 2 places I went to to get them read had their readers down. I started looking into this thing a lil bit more aggressive.
I accessed the fuel pump and with the key in position II the pump is dead, obviously when it starts the pumps comes on with the key in pos II.
I pulled the plug and checked power and ground. Good ground, no power. Power to engine fuse box for fuel relay.
So I start T/S further and find 100 ohms on the wire form main relay to the ECM. (pin4 co570-pin23 co635) Anyone know if this is good/bad??? Seems like it sure read open/1.0 or less. The wire straight from the relay to the pump checks good for continuity. THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY

(yes while I was T/S the pump ran and stopped running, truck started 3-4 times, let sit then nada)

Old 04-19-2007, 03:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The camshaft postion sensor(on the front timing cover)can act up and cause the problem you describe. Some call it the Crankshaft position sensor, but that sensor is actuallyon the back of the engine, and triggers off of the flex-plate ring gear. If the Cam sensor finally fails, it will allow the engine to crank over-- but won't fire.

regards,
Geoman
www.eurotekapg.com

Quick Reply: Hard start...dies while driving