Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Was hard to start when cold, now won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 08:16 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Jafir I will check the fuel pressure tomorrow. The battery is a brand new one from Costco 2 weeks old only. Will let you know on the fuel pressure, is there a link on this forum that describes how to do that? I rented the tool this afternoon from AZ...

Old 11-29-2014, 09:29 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

I don't think you are charging.
If you have the high beams on
and you are running the engine for 10 minutes at about 1,500 RPM

after

10 minutes of 1,500 RPM
and high beam headlights on -

You should have 13.8 volts at the battery terminals at 1,500 RPM.
If you don't - you are not charging.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:53 AM
Overlanding

Thanks Jfall for your suggestion about charging. Today it's 49 deg, warmer, and the truck started easier, but when I let my foot off the gas, it stalls right away.

I restarted it, and then turned the high beams on and ran at 1500 rpm. The Ultra-gauge showed 14.11 V, so looks like it is charging. Turned on the heat at the same time, and went down to 14.01 V, still charging.

Somehow it's not holding at the idle speed of 500 rpm, just goes to 0 and stalls. Does that still sound like the fuel pressure or could it be something else. I have the fuel psi tool from AZ to check the pressure, but don't know how...

Old 12-01-2014, 01:26 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by snads
Thanks Jafir I will check the fuel pressure tomorrow. The battery is a brand new one from Costco 2 weeks old only. Will let you know on the fuel pressure, is there a link on this forum that describes how to do that? I rented the tool this afternoon from AZ...
Jafir,

I checked the fuel pressure. Got the Discovery 2 started and was hard to keep RPMs between 1,000 - 2,000 with the gas pedal, but got a reading of 46 PSI. From what I read online, this looks well in the range, do you agree probably not the problem...?

In my earlier post, I have a youtube video that you can hear the sound and what's going on when I try and eventually get it to start. Per my other post the system is charging at over 14 V with high beams on.

Any other troubleshooting ideas... Thanks for everyone's help.

P.S. I have attached 3 pictures showing folks where the fuel pressure port is, and also the 46 PSI reading from the gauge. (since I had a little trouble finding where the port is).

Attached Thumbnails Was hard to start when cold, now won't start-img_0583.jpg   Was hard to start when cold, now won't start-img_0584.jpg   Was hard to start when cold, now won't start-img_0587.jpg  
Old 12-01-2014, 05:45 PM
Overlanding
Default Problem solved!

So about an hour ago, I read on the Atlantic British site about the MAF sensor, and how it is important to disconnect the battery cables for 30-40 minutes, so that the ECM forgets data, and can start fresh. Decided to try this disconnecting of the battery, without getting the new MAF, on the theory that when I replaced the battery 2 weeks ago, the ECM settings were confused, since it wasn't disconnected long enough. A few minutes ago, I reconnected the cables, and problem solved, started right up and held idle, running normally !

Old 12-06-2014, 02:29 PM
Overlanding
Default Thought the stalling was solved, guess not

Yesterday the Discovery 2 started having the same problem as the beginning of this thread, hard to start, and stalling if I take my foot off the gas. Thought it was fixed but guess not. The temperature is down to 40 deg outside, and it is raining, seems like this affects my truck. All summer it was fine. Codes I'm getting are P1884, P0335 and P0505...

Old 12-06-2014, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Not the normal symptoms, but P0335 is crankshaft sensor. I'd replace that since it's a common failure, it won't really hurt to have a new one even if it's not that main problem.

Old 12-06-2014, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

You've also got a code for the idle control valve, but maybe that's from stalling? If the crank sensor doesn't fix it, I'd look into troubleshooting that system.

Old 12-06-2014, 02:33 PM
Overlanding

Thanks Jafir, good idea...
What are the normal symptoms for Crankshaft position sensor P0335, would like to see if maybe I have some of those too?

Old 12-06-2014, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Normally they don't like the heat, and so you'll get no spark or rpm signal when it's hot out and you've driven it a while; it will just die and then not re-start. You'll have to let it cool and then it will start again. But since there is no backup strategy for the sensor, you usually don't get a code for it.

Quick Reply: Was hard to start when cold, now won't start