Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard Starting

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2022, 11:37 PM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hard Starting

Just picked up my first D2 a couple weeks ago - a Kinversand '99. While I'm waiting for the Lucky8 driveshaft to arrive, I'm sorting all the other little issues and doing basic maintenance.

The one thing I haven't been able to pinpoint is the source of a hard starting issue. Hot restarts are fine (getting gas, etc...), but cold starts and anything after sitting > 60 mins and it cranks for a long time before firing. I replaced the fuel pump yesterday morning, hoping it was a check valve issue. That doesn't seem to be the case, but there's nothing wrong with replacing a 25 year old pump for peace of mind. It seems to be pressure-related, though. Cranking with no throttle input yields a little hesitation when it fires. Cracking the throttle a little bit gets a decent rev out of it and it settles right into a smooth idle. IAC seems fine, as it idles great otherwise. Am I missing anything else before I either have the injectors cleaned, or just replace them? My best guess at this point is one or more are leaking down after shutoff.

Thanks!

Old 08-02-2022, 02:12 PM
TReK
Received 491 Likes on 426 Posts

My troubleshooting would have been exactly what you’re doing. The fuel pump check valve being my first suspect and a dribbling injector my second.

Old 08-02-2022, 06:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 365 Likes on 284 Posts

If you can manage fitting a gauge to the shraeder valve to see what you residual pressure you have before you start cranking that might shed some light on the pressure situation. Any codes?

Old 08-02-2022, 08:44 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ahab
If you can manage fitting a gauge to the shraeder valve to see what you residual pressure you have before you start cranking that might shed some light on the pressure situation. Any codes?
No active codes aside from the ABS 1590. When I first brought it home there were pending faults for 300, 307 and some evap circuit. The evap is still pending but the misfires have fallen off.

When I did the pump on Sunday, very little fuel came out when I disconnected the line, so that seems to support the injector theory now that the pump is ruled out.

Old 08-03-2022, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,666 Posts

Next time on a cold start cycle the key 2-3 times to position II and on the 4th cycle actually start it. If it fires right up then you are loosing fuel pressure in the fuel rail. If it doesn't start right up it could be CPS related as well.

Old 08-03-2022, 10:19 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Next time on a cold start cycle the key 2-3 times to position II and on the 4th cycle actually start it. If it fires right up then you are loosing fuel pressure in the fuel rail. If it doesn't start right up it could be CPS related as well.
I've tried cycling the key previously, with no change. I suspect the issue is stemming from flooding the cylinders more than anything else. I'll check the plugs for signs of fuel tonight when it comes in the garage for new plugs, wires, coils and cooling hoses. I ordered new injectors already since I'll have the upper intake off for the other work.

Can the CPS only cause issues in certain startup conditions? It seems weird that it wouldn't present any other symptoms otherwise.

Old 08-03-2022, 10:26 AM
Pro Wrench

Your pending evap could be a clue. If the system is pressuring the evap ystem to verify there are no leaks and the injectors are leaking by, it may be detecting the pressure loss and throwing the code. With the intake apart it will eliminate further testing but I think injectors is a good start. Although, I would think that flooding the engine in 60 minutes of sitting would be enough of a leak to cause AFR problems in the form of misfires or running rich. Maybe not.

Old 08-03-2022, 10:45 AM
Drifting

Your pending evap could be a clue. If the system is pressuring the evap ystem to verify there are no leaks and the injectors are leaking by, it may be detecting the pressure loss and throwing the code. With the intake apart it will eliminate further testing but I think injectors is a good start. Although, I would think that flooding the engine in 60 minutes of sitting would be enough of a leak to cause AFR problems in the form of misfires or running rich. Maybe not.
I would think excess fuel would burn off fast enough in this case, as least once the flooded cylinder(s) clear. There's definitely a raw gas smell on startup, but I know these do run rich. I have a similar problem with my '78 BMW, but it's coolant entering one cylinder instead of gas. Not super combustible, so once it starts it takes a couple seconds to clear before it runs fine.

I'm *ok* with throwing some parts at it in this case, since most of it is almost 25 years old and I don't know the history of it.

EDIT: for reference, the evap code is P0447 - Emissions system vent control open

Old 08-03-2022, 11:59 AM
Pro Wrench

Until the O2 sensors come up to temp it's running open loop anyway so it could be masking the excess fuel at start up. Either way, injectors is the next step I would take too.

Old 08-03-2022, 08:53 PM
Drifting

Until the O2 sensors come up to temp it's running open loop anyway so it could be masking the excess fuel at start up. Either way, injectors is the next step I would take too.
I'm voting strongly for injectors now - thankfully they arrived today. I got as far as removing the intake hose before I was met with a strong smell of raw fuel. Pretty conclusive there, I think.

Hopefully there isn't any damage to the cylinders. Seems to run just fine, so I don't think it's overfueling. The big question is how long it's been doing this, and how diluted the oil is.

Quick Reply: Hard Starting