Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone blacked out their roof?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 02:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Has anyone blacked out their roof?

The paint is starting to chip on my roof in a few spots. I have color matched paint and 2k clear to repair these spots but I'm curious if anyone has considered blacking out their roof?

I think rustoleum bumper trim black would probably look pretty decent. I have my roof rack to add and I also have my brush guard. So I've got black accessories that already accent my blue paint pretty well.

Has anyone tried it? Don't wanna go with rhino liner.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:18 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Go with a white roof, UK style . Black just attracts so much heat. Or just lift the truck enough that people can't really see the roof!

Old 12-30-2012, 04:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem, but am planning on painting my roof white. I have the same color truck you do. I have already talked to a buddy that owns a body shop, and am planning on doing it a pearl white with matte or satin clear.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes- Ever since I lifted the Disco I could never park it in a garage. It was parked outside in Florida heat since 03'. The clear coat started to deteriorate on the roof in various spots. I ended up taping it off and spraying it with VHT Epoxy Paint (satin) from Advanced Auto. It is what I use on the steel bumper, light guards and wheels. You can see it in my 'photo album'. I did this about two years ago. I had to expand the painted section to cover the front as two more spots started right above the windshield and it was visible.

The satin paint matched the Vigg decal on the hood and looks like it was added to the top. I considered white like the Defender's or even Toyota FJ's but decided against it as more work would have been involved and it would have been too busy with the silver body, black hood decal and white roof?

If anyone ever paints the whole roof satin black... I'd like to see it. Right now I have the sides factory silver by the Alpine windows and it looks good. I don't know how much longer the factory paint will last on the sides of he roof with the clear coat. I may consider painting it black or eventually having the roof repainted silver with a new clearcoat.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:39 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

I blacked out the front area above the windscreen. Flat black paint to match the hood blackout. Everything else is hidden under the roof rack. If it weren't for the roof rack, then I would go white. I agree white is better for the roof, just like the lid on a cooler. It's just not worth the effort to pull the roof rack and then just cover up all the effort. I suppose I could paint the roof rack white but I'm afraid rattle-can white would get tattered. The black powdercoating is more durable and I'm not about to pay to have it redone white.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by binvanna
I blacked out the front area above the windscreen. Flat black paint to match the hood blackout. Everything else is hidden under the roof rack. If it weren't for the roof rack, then I would go white. I agree white is better for the roof, just like the lid on a cooler. It's just not worth the effort to pull the roof rack and then just cover up all the effort. I suppose I could paint the roof rack white but I'm afraid rattle-can white would get tattered. The black powdercoating is more durable and I'm not about to pay to have it redone white.
Could you post a pic?

Im considering white as well but I still favor black(its a favorite color).

Old 12-31-2012, 12:03 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm considering white on mine as well. even in WA in the summer this black rover gets hot on the inside. i don't want to attract more heat. slow off road speeds, i don't run the a/c so i'd prefer to reflect the heat rather than gather it.
jon

Old 12-31-2012, 03:30 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

black isn't a color. the reason white is preferred in my book, is it resembles the series trucks.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,590 Likes on 1,306 Posts

I agree Ed, and will add the reason they painted the roofs white was to cut down on the heat, since the Series trucks didn't have A/C

Old 12-31-2012, 12:39 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a guy on the forum in the north west that has one with a black top. Looks pretty decent though i cant think of his name but i know he has pictures on the forum somewhere!

Quick Reply: Has anyone blacked out their roof?