Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone repainted their D2?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 09:34 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone repainted their D2?

I am thinking about getting a paint job and was curious what others have paid to do so. I would more than likely keep the same color and don't have any major body work that needs to be done.

Does anyone have any experiences to share? What did you spend for the paint job?

Old 04-25-2013, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Well, there is always this pattern - sort of 1 in a million -

Old 04-26-2013, 01:36 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Im also seriously considering getting a paint job for my D2. Although I want to get it painted black. Dont know how much it would cost but I can say that it depends on where you go, the type of paint used, and the quality/skill level of the shop doing the paint job. One local show charges $75 per body panel BUT I suspect they are not the most skilled in painting seeing how they specialize in mechanical repair work. Another shop in my area quoted me around $1,500 to paint my former 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Once more it will cost you more if you want them to remove all the plastic trim pieces and the interior door panels, vs just having only the exposed exterior body panels painted. In your case seeing how you want to keep it the same color I dont see why the shop would need to remove any exterior trim pieces or interior door panels. Should be the cheaper for you. Just shop around. But you have to bring your Disco to the shop so the representatives can look the vehicle over and give a accurate estimate of the cost.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:02 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Thought about a few options-

G4 orange but with a clear coat that takes it to another level (candy) something not drastic but subtle and deep like a metallic orange

Michigan State 'green' I had to put that in there for your name. I am an alumni. GO STATE!

Matte wrap- black, orange, khaki tan or military green

The door wells would have to be painted and the trim removed for a complete job. It would be taking it to an expensive price though. Right now Most of my horizontal panels are black and the sides or verticals are still in good shape.

Price- $ 3k and up depending on quality of M/L option

Old 04-26-2013, 07:03 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by umwolverine
I am thinking about getting a paint job and was curious what others have paid to do so. I would more than likely keep the same color and don't have any major body work that needs to be done.

Does anyone have any experiences to share? What did you spend for the paint job?
Be weary of any shop quoting you under $1,000 just to prep it for paint. And that's prep work to respray the original color. If your looking for a color change you can expect to pay (for quality work that will last LONG term) 3k and up.

My Old Man has made a living restoring classic cars (frame-off resto's) for the better half of three and a half decades. I kinda have an idea...

Last edited by coors; 04-26-2013 at 07:11 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:27 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Personally, I'd just have it plastidipped like my S60R is. 1/4 the cost and when it does flake off(it will, unless you're paying over $5k) you can just have it done again or fix it.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:47 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a sprayer with the intentions of spraying my Bimmer, I did paint the fender and spray blended the hood. That shiz is a lot of work man!!!! I took the rover down to a local shop that does incredible work and the quoted me $4800 to squirt the Rover....
Name:  g4frontdf1_zpsd6f61fe1.jpg
Views: 8342
Size:  37.0 KB

Now that's sexy right there.

The following users liked this post:
Gman1968 (07-22-2022)
Old 04-27-2013, 12:02 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MuddMouth,

What wheels and tires are on the orange Rover?

Old 04-27-2013, 12:04 AM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Those are just black painted/powder coated 16" stock rims. Can be difficult to come by due to the wider selection of tires available

Old 04-27-2013, 12:17 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AZRover
MuddMouth,

What wheels and tires are on the orange Rover?
I'd guess they are BFG's... just a hunch.

Quick Reply: Has anyone repainted their D2?