Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone used there fog light switch to wire up roof lights/LEDs

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2021, 04:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Has anyone used there fog light switch to wire up roof lights/LEDs

Just curious if that is a option! Would like to not use after market switches.

Old 11-02-2021, 05:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 774 Likes on 510 Posts

you can purchase some that will fit in that space and work nicely. The stock fog lights are momentary if I remember correctly.

Old 11-03-2021, 12:41 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by me 2
Just curious if that is a option! Would like to not use after market switches.
I used stock wiring and switch for some Hella 4000’s on my ARB. Works fine. The switch isn’t momentary like the other poster mentioned. The momentary switch is for the heated windscreen. It’s a constant on for 5 minutes, I think that time is correct. It’s no more than 5 that’s for sure.

Old 11-03-2021, 05:43 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

The heated windshield screen is a good aux switch for glow plugs on a mechanical diesel! Can't forget to leave it on! I love changing elements.

As for the roof mounted fog lights, yes it will work but what if you need your actual fog lights? I ran a secondary dash switch to one of the many blank spots in the dash for the little ladies 40 some odd inch roof mounted led bar. The odd feeling switch compared to the others makes it very easy to find in the dark.

with an aftermarket front bumper the little lady lost her factory fogs but now has small led fogs. I also have them so they turn on with the lights. Now that her 99 has 03/04 headlights I suppose I should take them back to fogs only, then light output is amazing vs the 99, it's as good as if not better than my b5.5 passat.

People coming from the opposite direction will not appreciate your blinding roof mounted led fogs

I had a pickup truck on Halloween night pass me with his roof bar led lights on. This was a dark back road past 9pm so long away as well as long after trick or treating. I tried flashing him repeatedly from a distance but he didn't get the hint to turn off his bars.

He got the brights plus the light bar as he passed, returning the favor.

So please don't use them on the road. You may be able to see into the future with the light bar on but those of us heading towards you can't see the lines infront of our bumper.

Also depending on the light bar it may generate some heat/amps. For the big ones I run a standard 5 prong relay to take then stress off of the factory wiring harness when running them in place of factory lights.

Old 11-03-2021, 07:10 AM
TReK
Received 769 Likes on 637 Posts

Stock fog light switches are momentary, not latching. The BCU has to be able to turn the fogs on and off with the high beams and key according to the logic settings.
The rear wiper switch is latching, So is the cruise control switch. It should be easy enough to pick up either one of them off eBay and mount it in a blank space around the instrument binnacle.

The following users liked this post:
whowa004 (11-03-2021)
Old 11-03-2021, 10:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 353 Likes on 227 Posts

Short answer, yeah you can do it- especially if you are wiring up LED lights which don't draw a lot of current. The problem (as I see it) is that I find fog lights to be useful on the road and roof lights are illegal to use on the road so you are stuck with either disconnecting your fog lights so you can use the switch exclusively for your roof lights or only being able to have your fog lights on with your roof lights which is problematic. I would really investigate using an alternative switch- either a latching binnacle switch you can put right in to the dash surround or, if you even think there is a possibility of wanting to switch additional electrics in the future, wire up some carling switches and relays so you can expand it in the future.

The following users liked this post:
mollusc (11-03-2021)
Old 11-03-2021, 01:06 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

Stock wiring for spot lamps:

modded wiring for aftermarket spot lamps:

The following 2 users liked this post by JUKE179r:
greisinb (11-03-2021), rikkd (11-04-2021)