Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hauling and extension ladder

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 12:38 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Hauling and extension ladder

Might be a dumb question to ask but want to make sure of myself. I am looking at purchasing a 32 or 36 ft extension ladder. Would just be a one time trip to get it home. Ladder not extended should be 16 to 18 ft and I think the Disco is about 15ft long so a foot or two over hang each way (well more on the front over the hood) should be to big a deal. Figure strap/ratchet it down using trailer hitch and front bumper hook then use some bungee cords on the cross bars for added security and keep it from sliding around. Should be on any major highway so figure this should be easy enough but seeing if anyone had other ideas. I figure having it up there would be better than trying to haul in the bed of a truck

Old 10-28-2014, 02:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used # 12 tw copper wire to hold my ladder to the top rack. in 4 places. Worked good. At least I never lost it.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I haul a 16 ft canoe up on the roof a lot of the time. Tied down front and back, a couple of ratchet straps across, and one rope that ties the center thwart to the roof rack to prevent it from moving fore and aft and you're good to go. Do something similar with your ladder and don't worry about it.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Colorado David
I haul a 16 ft canoe up on the roof a lot of the time. Tied down front and back, a couple of ratchet straps across, and one rope that ties the center thwart to the roof rack to prevent it from moving fore and aft and you're good to go. Do something similar with your ladder and don't worry about it.
I also hauled a canoe 17 Ft I believe Kevlar it only weighted 35 lbs. it needed all the tie downs you mentioned above. A ladder catches almost no wind or creates a sail like a canoe. Seems a bit of overkill to tie it down that much. Especially if you are going to be taking it on and off all day.
Just sayin

Old 10-28-2014, 03:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by slabrat
I also hauled a canoe 17 Ft I believe Kevlar it only weighted 35 lbs. it needed all the tie downs you mentioned above. A ladder catches almost no wind or creates a sail like a canoe. Seems a bit of overkill to tie it down that much. Especially if you are going to be taking it on and off all day.
Just sayin
OP only seems to be picking it up after buying. So it isn't going to be on an off all day.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:05 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah ended up being pretty easy just never hauled anything that long though it was barely longer than the car. Just used a couple ratchet straps on both ends and wrap a bungee around it as well and no movement at all. Seen plenty of pics of disco hauling canoes and actually thought about picking one up so good to know will work up there pretty well