Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have Spark But getting a Miss fire code.. HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 06:33 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have Spark But getting a Miss fire code.. HELP!!!

Hi guys... okay so I am still getting a missfire on cylinder 4... After changing my plugs and wires I ended up eliminating all my other missfires and my o2 codes... however I am still getting a jerky acceleration at 30 - 60 and an underpowered acceleration from the line...

I checked for spark and I am getting proper spark....

The plug is fouling black...

What should I look at next...

Thanks

Old 10-22-2009, 06:37 PM
Drifting

Oh yeah.. checked compression.. it was at 150 on cylinder 4 as well as 150 or so on all the other cylinders

Old 10-22-2009, 06:58 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You have a DII correct?
Must be a leaky injector.
If your compression was low I would say a sticky valve.
Because that plug is fouling it must either not be getting enough spark or it is being flooded out from to much fuel.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:05 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the input...

Yup it is a DII... So should I replace the coil pack... or are we pretty confident it is an injector???

Old 10-22-2009, 07:11 PM
Team Owner

Well that is a 50/50, which is cheaper and easier to do?
The connections on the coil packs do get dirty on DII's and can cause weak spark.
I dont mean the ones that your plug wire attaches too, but the one that your coil attaches to.
So if you were to remove the coil you would see prongs (for lack of a better term) sticking up and the female end would be on the bottom of the coil, those connections can get corroded and cause mis fires.
Also a injector can stick open, we have seen at least one of those on the forum in the last year or so.
SO...if it were me that is where I would start, knowing that the compression is good and the plugs and wires are good, remove all the coils, clean the connections really well, put it back together and see what happens.
The part that really sucks is that it is a DII and the coils are not easy to get to, so if the cleaning does not work you will have to do it all over again.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:58 PM
Drifting

I am almost thinking that a small friend of mine should be able pull off the coils without removing the intake manifold... I did the wires with out removing anything.. took about 20 min... however the wires I pulled off were extremely corroded... like the worst i have ever seen...

What would corroded wire ends mean

Old 10-22-2009, 08:00 PM
Team Owner

Any corrosion in a electrical connection means less power is getting though, just like kinking a garden hose.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:00 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The coils are connected by 4 bolts (2 on the upper and 2 on the lower IM) good luck getting them off with the upper IM still on there.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:26 PM
Drifting

Maybe they make a super crazy tool that can do it...

Can someone point me to a link that describes pulling the intake manifold off...

Thanks

Old 10-23-2009, 10:04 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

As Spike has mentioned, it is possible, but not likely that an injector may be stuck, D2's are not known for it and one was acting up on cylinder 4 you should also be seeing a P0204 fault code for the injector.
Just to see if any thing changes, throw a can of B&G'd injector cleaner or 44K and see if it helps.
If not a good mechanic and his scanner and read the signals from the injector to tell you for sure.

Quick Reply: Have Spark But getting a Miss fire code.. HELP!!!