Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

He says Disco is "a throw-away vehicle", but I'm the "tool" with a f'n attitude?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 02:45 PM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default He says Disco is "a throw-away vehicle", but I'm the "tool" with a f'n attitude?

So yeah, I guess I had a bit of an attitude on Friday. I thought this was a forum to assist Land Rover enthusiasts (those who appreciate our vehicles) in repairing, maintaining and improving Land Rover products and keeping as many as possible on the road and going for many years to come...in particular, the Discos. Especially given LR's current offerings not really filling the void left when the Disco was replaced by the more posh LR3s and LR4s.

To my point, some newly joined poster (I won't use his log in name) comes on and posts multiple times, all asking about specific exterior do-dads and accessorization...jewelry, if you will, for a '03 Disco II. Members here were kind enough to point out these items were pretty rare (G4-type safari "hype"), but gave him some leads and advised him to expect high prices. Some even offered similar products they had for him to consider. He then gets snarky and comments how he only wants EXACTLY these parts, he wants someone to sell him what they have lying around "cheap" and we're wasting his time.

Now, given all the reliability issues the '03-'04 models suffer (we owners are VERY aware of these!), I'm finding it odd this new owner is stuck on bedazzling this rig, unless:

a) he's young and is more distracted with looking cool than making the car dependable and safe, or

b) he's bought this thing to flip and just wants to "weekend warrior" this thing up to appeal to the wannabe crowd and is looking to the forum to supply the parts on the cheap to do so.

I can tell he is from a very high cost-of-living area by his online business website (the SF/SJ Bay Area is second only to Boston). When he acts really "choosy" and unappreciative towards forum members who are trying to be helpful, I call this guy out, assuming he's just a shallow punk. He then informs me he "bought this LR as a throw-away vehicle for $5k to tow (my) boat after someone hit my Tahoe" and I'm going for a certain look, so "shoot me".

Hit too close to home? But, so the rest of the regular forum members know, I'm the stereotyping "tool" to which he referred.

Last edited by sdhow; 03-09-2015 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:58 PM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Just read the exchange. Someone who got more, and more sensible advice then they expected.
This isn't really the place for people looking for "throw away", more like doggedly preserve past the point of sensibility.

Last edited by Fallstaff; 03-09-2015 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:22 PM
Mudding

30 y.o., but 30 is the new 20, right?

I guess age really has nothing to do with it these days. L.A. and the Bay Area is full of LR/RRs with gaudy "Strut" kits on them. Can you say Kardashian?

Old 03-09-2015, 04:01 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

I'm in Orange County CA, just put a 2" lift on my wife's 04' this weekend. I just wanted her to be able to run over those parking blocks at Trader Joes while buying organic fruit and fair trade cane sugar in Newport Beach...

Old 03-09-2015, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Fun stuff
I love oe brush guards

Old 03-09-2015, 04:35 PM
Jnj
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I mean let's be honest here. They are throw away vehicles. You can buy them all day long between $2-$5k. It's cheaper to buy a new one then repair a head gasket.

They are special to us owners who like them and all their nuances, but don't think they are something special or rare. They are plentiful in every part of this country.

I happen to love mine and the style is timeless which is what has drawn me to them. I daily mine and I am only interested in appearance mods. Why? Because it's mine and that's the path I have for it. All it needs to do is haul the kids and dogs and get me to work.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:48 PM
Mudding

I don't think they're "disposable"...especially if you've taken the time and effort to upgrade them to the point of reliable daily transportation. That INCLUDES addressing the head gaskets. Now don't get me wrong, make it your own; but DO THE REQUIRED UPGRADES THAT HAVE BEEN OUTLINED IN GREAT DETAIL ON THE FORUMS. And they're not all that plentiful, at least not out West. We get one in a "local" U-Pull-It yard every 3 or 4 months, and even then, I might have to drive 75+ miles to get a part. Driving it into the ground just because they're cheap right now is not an excuse, it's abusive! You're right; it's your car. But don't come on here looking for sympathy if you negligently ignore the wisdom the people on here have tried to bestow on you.

Go buy a twelve year old Ford Exploder and blow it up. THOSE are plentiful!

I drive a Disco BECAUSE it's different, purposeful and has a 'soul'. The lack of which is why I quit riding Harleys back in the 90's. That, and now any d-bag can go down to the neighborhood dealer and buy one and be another one in the crowd.

As Dan Short at Fantomworks (Norfolk, VA) says, "if I have to choose between you and your car, I'll take your car every time".

Old 03-09-2015, 05:54 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by abran
I'm in Orange County CA, just put a 2" lift on my wife's 04' this weekend. I just wanted her to be able to run over those parking blocks at Trader Joes while buying organic fruit and fair trade cane sugar in Newport Beach...

Dude, you're hilarious! I know how much love you put into your Rovers. And how much you contribute to this forum.

And everyone KNOWS the two cars that will WITHOUT A DOUBT cut you off on an LA freeway off-ramp are a Prius and a Range Rover!

Old 03-09-2015, 06:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Fallstaff
This isn't really the place for people looking for "throw away", more like doggedly preserve past the point of sensibility.
So true.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:04 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What i don't is why would he want the plastic one. I mean they do look good but that is all they are used for, looks. And buying them brand new, it would be worth it to buy a sweet metal one.

Quick Reply: He says Disco is "a throw-away vehicle", but I'm the "tool" with a f'n attitude?