Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head gasket gone or engine block cracked?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 09:30 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head gasket gone or engine block cracked?

Hi everyone,
I am looking into buying a Land Rover discovery II 2002 Westminster edition. It has 198 000km on it. There are no maintenance history and the dealer told me it needs a new head gasket. The car goes for 2400$, it’s kinda a shot in the dark.

I read so far that it is a common problem on those models, but is there anyway to know if it is the head gasket or it is engine block that is cracked without removing the head? Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards
Mathieu

Old 08-17-2019, 09:36 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

You would have to know what codes are lighting the CEL. Is it lit? Did the dealer just clear all of the codes? You want to know if the supposed HG leak is external or internal. If internal, what cylinder is having misfires. Inner 4 = block issue... Corner 4 usually HG related.

Old 08-17-2019, 09:58 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Dave03S
You would have to know what codes are lighting the CEL. Is it lit? Did the dealer just clear all of the codes? You want to know if the supposed HG leak is external or internal. If internal, what cylinder is having misfires. Inner 4 = block issue... Corner 4 usually HG related.
I will have someone to check the car tomorrow 😊. The dealership seems legit, but it isn’t a Land Rover dealership. I asked over email the mechanical issues of that car and he didn’t give me a any details, simply head gasket need to be change. What code would it be for internal and external?

I just read read about checking the spark plugs to see if the inner 4 are cleaner than the others, something to look into. Thanks for the fast reply

Mathieu

Old 08-17-2019, 11:03 PM
TReK

Misfire codes on the inner 4 cylinders = P0303 - P0306... 3-6 are inner... 1, 2, 7, 8 are outer.

Best practice would be to do at least a half hour test drive up to highway speeds. Look for any dash lights etc. Optimally take a code reader and see what if anything is present. Note if all of the warning lights illuminate when you turn the key to the second position. Instrument clusters have been know to have been tampered with on vehicles with no service history. Assume no preventive maintenance has been done. Best case paying an independent LR shop this will cost you $2000. Worst case it could need a new block. I wouldn't pay anything until I knew which case this is in... You can get these needing head gaskets for under $1000 all day. Ultimately it depends on what you pay and how much of it you can do yourself. If you go look at it they should be able to show you where the HG leak is. At the very least how they diagnosed it.

Last edited by Dave03S; 08-17-2019 at 11:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Matty4364 (08-17-2019)
Old 08-17-2019, 11:16 PM
5th Gear

Thanks a lot Dave, very crucial info. I can handle it if it is a head gasket. Not knowing the maintenance history (if I buy it of course), I will flush the engine oil, transmission oil and coolant as well. I am buying the car as a DIY project.

The disco I am looking into is a Westminster edition, what are the differences between a regular disco serie 2 and this edition?

Mathieu

Old 08-18-2019, 12:25 AM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

2400 is to much for a disco that needs a head gasket
unless the disco has a few nice add ons etc like steel bumpers etc.
They can’t be bothered to repair the head gasket and still want 2400. No

The following users liked this post:
shanechevelle (08-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 04:23 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

If you aren't prepared to lose your money, or do a motor swap, can't handle the truck sitting for a while in your driveway don't buy this truck.

200,000 miles, something wrong with the motor, and its 2400? RIP off.

Old 08-18-2019, 04:49 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by shanechevelle
If you aren't prepared to lose your money, or do a motor swap, can't handle the truck sitting for a while in your driveway don't buy this truck.

200,000 miles, something wrong with the motor, and its 2400? RIP off.
It’s 200 000 km, not miles. Like I wrote, it will be a DIY project, I have another car. I will use it mainly for winter. Now I won’t pay 2400$ if I have to swap the engine right away, that’s why I was asking how to be able to know if the block is crack or not without lifting the head.

Head gasket failure seems to be pretty common, the body of the vehicle is in great shape, no rust and accident free. The test drive should give me a good idea.

Old 08-18-2019, 04:53 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
2400 is to much for a disco that needs a head gasket
unless the disco has a few nice add ons etc like steel bumpers etc.
They can’t be bothered to repair the head gasket and still want 2400. No
It’s not a Land Rover dealership, that’s why they won’t bother doing it. They sell the car as it is. To get parts isn’t that expansive and I planned on doing the job myself. I will try to the get the car cheaper since the car comes with known mechanical issues.

Old 08-18-2019, 09:37 AM
TReK

Take a code reader on that test drive. If you don't have one, stop by an auto parts store and get the codes read on the test drive. Seriously, plan this out ahead of time and be prepared to investigate yourself.

Quick Reply: Head gasket gone or engine block cracked?