Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Gasket Job!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 01:21 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Gasket Job

Hi, I feel your pain. I'm just finishing up replacing my head gaskets/valley pan gasket. If you have some mechanical ability, it is a DIY project.. but not an easy one. as for money. I am in to mine for about $350 bucks. The valley pan gasket is about $50, head gaskets are about $50, new head bolts, about $50, new magnacores about $100, new plugs about $30, exhaust gaskets, and o rings for the oil cooler pipe and pcv add another $50 or so. Good Luck

Old 09-20-2010, 01:35 PM
Winching
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW...The price on the head gasket set isn't necessarily off the wall. I was quoted ~475 for a 'Victor' HG set. I had that price confirmed by a 3rd Party expert who we all know and respect.

Now, I can't say whether the Victor HG's are any better, but I guess they're supposed to be thicker or something. Anyway, my heads were warped ~12/1000ths, and my mechanic certainly claimed these HG's were the best to use after having the heads machined.

Maybe the cheaper AB set would have been just as good, but I can't say for sure myself. I know I've put a little over 1000 miles (450 yesterday alone) on the truck since I got it back 8/10 and it hasn't had any temperature problems so far. (*knock on wood*)

Also, +1 for the 8mm Kingsbourne wires suggestion. After replacing the water pump, hoses, and T-stat, these were the next thing I installed. They work great. IMO, there's no way the difference in performance (if any) of the Magnecore's can justify the price difference.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:51 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dcarr1971
FWIW...The price on the head gasket set isn't necessarily off the wall. I was quoted ~475 for a 'Victor' HG set. I had that price confirmed by a 3rd Party expert who we all know and respect.

Now, I can't say whether the Victor HG's are any better, but I guess they're supposed to be thicker or something. Anyway, my heads were warped ~12/1000ths, and my mechanic certainly claimed these HG's were the best to use after having the heads machined.

Maybe the cheaper AB set would have been just as good, but I can't say for sure myself. I know I've put a little over 1000 miles (450 yesterday alone) on the truck since I got it back 8/10 and it hasn't had any temperature problems so far. (*knock on wood*)

Also, +1 for the 8mm Kingsbourne wires suggestion. After replacing the water pump, hoses, and T-stat, these were the next thing I installed. They work great. IMO, there's no way the difference in performance (if any) of the Magnecore's can justify the price difference.
There was discussion about "a better head gasket" in the thread I had on my HG job. I think it was vandev (Chris) that posted a link to a thread called "No such thing as a better head gasket" It was a good read. And yes, the Kingsbourne wires are the way to go. They're also numbered so you don't have to guess about which wire is the right length for each cylinder.

Eric

Old 09-20-2010, 05:34 PM
Drifting

OK!
The wires were changed about a year ago... Do I need to get a new set? The reason I ask the mechanic wanted to change the spark plugs and I am not sure why. May be that's the "right way" to do things. Don't know.
Also, what do you guys think about Bosch Platinum IR Fusion spark plugs? Worth the money or stick with +4s? Bosch offers $2 rebate per Fusion plug and $1 per +4 until 12/31.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:45 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

personally i thin the plus fours are better. what wires were installed is the question. you need the 8mm to resist the heat that our aluminum blocks gives off.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I don't recall seeing it on your list, but get a hose set from AB. Certainly replace the radiator hoses at a minimum. As I recall the hose kit for a DII was about $185. You may not need them all, but you should strongly consider changing the spyder hose, and the other main hose to/from the radiator and the two heater hoses. Good luck. Phil

Old 09-20-2010, 09:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

One thing to check before bringing in a box full of parts for the mechanic to put on: Will they offer a warranty on customer supplied parts? The shop I work for offers a 12 month / 12,000 mile warranty on all work performed using the parts we supply. However, if a customer brings in a part for us to install, we offer no warranty, unless it was an mechanic error. If we supply the parts, and they fail, we can usually get a labor reimbursement from the manufacturer.

A recent example: We recommended an OEM fuel pump for a customer with an AWD Volvo. He opted for a Carquest pump he bought for 2/3 the price. Within 3 days, the car cam back, leaking fuel from the electrical connector (manufacturing defect) and he is having to pay the 7.5 hours labor again to replace it.

Most honest repair shops are not out to screw you. Yes, they mark up part prices, that is business.

You can buy a nice steak at the grocery store for 1/3 the price of the same sized steak at a restaurant, but you can't buy that steak at the grocery store, carry it in to the restaurant and ask them to cook it for you.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:08 AM
Drifting

Fair enough about the steak:-)))

Btw, they will check the heads, magnaflux and pressure test the block...

Here is what I have in the shopping cart:

- Head Bolt Kit
- Serpentine Belt
- Hose Kit
- Gasket Set
- Thermostat
- Bosch +4s

I guess that's it! Thanks guys

Last edited by baburhan; 09-21-2010 at 09:20 AM.