Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Gasket Job + Valley Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 12:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Head Gasket Job + Valley Gasket

Are there any good threads with pictures? I'm looking at the RAVE and don't feel confident in doing this job.

Also info on the timing chain and oil pump would be appreciated.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:36 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Oil Pump Gear Kit W/Gaskets - Land Rover kits from Atlantic British for oil pump kit, timing chain is extra.

search button will bring up threads with head gaskets, there is also a video /DVD on the subject

You must have used a wrench to do all that work to your truck. HG is just more of it.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:07 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put new head gaskets on my 03 HSE Disco. Had the heads rebuilt at the machine shop. Gasket Kit at Atlantic British is great! I took several pics with my iPad of the engine compartment (front and sides) before tear down. I also kept all parts in order that i took them off. Use freezer bags to label the nuts and bolts. It's not hard but take your time. If you have particular questions, let me know.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:34 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used some plastic Styrofoam packing to stab the bolts and valve lifters in, and labeled with a sharpie to keep them in order. Also marked baggies. I have my 99 torn down and find out today if the heads are worth machining.
HG's are a big job but not complicated. I took lots of pics and used the rave along with pics, Pinkytoe sent me these links . It's and old Rangie I think but most the same stuff but ignore removing the steering shaft

Engine Refresh (top end) « PaulP38A.com

Engine Refresh (Part 3) « PaulP38A.com

I also kept notes on what step I was on and referenced it to the pic I took of that step. Should go back together much easier than taking apart as far as knowing how things came apart. Just need to be meticulous about putting it back properly

I'll let you know about putting mine back together if I do. If heads are bad I'm getting rid of it. @ 223000 It's not worth it to me to put a bunch of money in it Since I have another one that will be enough problems. If she goes I will miss her. Been all over US and Mexico in it been a great vehicle

Good Luck

Attached Thumbnails Head Gasket Job + Valley Gasket-img_0467.jpg  
Old 04-23-2013, 07:00 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

You can look at my pictures.
I am sure the regulars are sick of seeing them..
But you may look at them and feel better maybe..

Flickr: Landroverdude2's Photostream

Old 04-24-2013, 08:29 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind and where did you use any sealer or goop when you did this ? I found a small amount of black silicone gasket on my valve cover gaskets and the coolant pipe on the front of the intake. Did you use anything on intake bolts and anti seize on any thing? I'm about to put mine back together this weekend ( pick up heads today )

Old 04-25-2013, 08:04 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only place i can remember using sealer when I replaced my heads was in the 4 corners of the valley pan gasket. The prior owner put it all over the place and the valley pan was leaking like crazy!! Make sure you put it where the gaskets meet in the 4 corners. The torque specs are very improtant on the valley pan gasket. If you over/under tighten it, it will leak. I have had my 03 Disco back together for about a month an have no leaks.